Here are the best classic rum cocktails to make, with either white or dark rum! These popular fruity mixed drinks will please everyone.
We’re not going to lie. Rum cocktails are some of the most delightfully refreshing mixed drinks there are! Rum is often paired with sweet and tangy fruity flavors, making cocktails that are very easy to drink (sometimes too easy). This liquor made from sugar cane became popular in the US as early as the 1700’s, and we’ve been drinking it ever since. (Here’s more on rum history, if you want to geek out.)
Rum stars in some of the most classic cocktails, like the Classic Daiquiri and the Mojito. It’s perfect for spiking frozen drinks like a 1990’s-style frozen daiquiri, and even great in hot drinks like Buttered Rum. Whatever the occasion or season…there’s a rum drink for that.
And now…the top classic rum cocktails to try!
Dark rum vs light rum: what’s the difference?
- Dark rum is aged longer than white rum. It has a dark color and a rich, developed flavor with caramel, brown sugar, and vanilla notes.
- Light rum or white rum is clear and has a smoother, sweeter flavor than dark rum.
One of the most classic rum cocktails is daiquiri! This classic recipe has the perfect balance of boozy, tart and sweet with rum, lime and sweetener.
- 1 1/2 ounces (3 tablespoons) best quality light or white rum
- 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) lime juice
- 1/2 ounce (1 tablespoon) simple syrup or maple syrup
- Lime slice, for garnish
- Mix all ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice.
- String into a cocktail glass. Serve garnished with a lime slice.
- Category: Drink
- Method: Shaken
- Cuisine: Cocktails
Keywords: Rum cocktails, Daiquiri
Outside of these rum cocktails, there are so many great cocktail recipes! Here are some of our best cocktail collections:
- Mint Cocktails The best drinks with this fresh herb, from the Mojito to the Southside.
- Italian Cocktails Italy has gifted the world some of the greatest cocktails!
- Cognac Cocktails Here’s what to do with this high-end French brandy.
- Grand Marnier Cocktails This orange liqueur makes a killer fancy margarita or bubbly cocktail.
- Vodka Cocktails Try the greats like the Gimlet and Mule.
- Ginger Beer Cocktails Pick from Moscow mule spins, the Pimm’s Cup, and more.
- Orange Juice Cocktails OJ is a great mixer…and it’s not just for mimosas.
- Campari Cocktails Brilliant red cocktails starring this bitter liqueur.
- Sour Cocktails All the very best sours: Whiskey Sour, Sidecar, even the Margarita.
- Vermouth Cocktails All the best drinks using dry or sweet vermouth.
About the Authors
Sonja Overhiser is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best healthy cookbooks of 2018. She’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the food blog A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Sonja seeks to inspire adventurous eating to make the world a better place one bite at a time.
Alex Overhiser is an acclaimed food photographer and author based in Indianapolis. He’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the recipe website A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Alex is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best vegetarian cookbooks by Epicurious.