Here are the best Italian cocktails to try! There’s something for everyone: classics like the Americano and Negroni, to an inspired spin on the margarita.
Italy is home of some of most famous culinary inventions of all time, from pizza margherita to pesto to pasta marinara. So is it any wonder that this country is also home to some iconic classic cocktails, too? Without Italy, we wouldn’t have the world famous Negroni, or the bubbly and ubiquitous Aperol Spritz. Then there’s the Americano, with a history that stems back to the 1860’s. The Italians were early to the cocktail game!
Here are all the top Italian cocktails to try! They work whether you’re pairing with Italian recipes or just looking for a Euro cocktail to drink on the patio. Featured are both cocktails that are part of Italian cuisine, and some inspired spins using classic ingredients. Let’s get to it!
And now…the best Italian cocktails to try!
The Negroni Sbagliato is a spin on the classic cocktail using sparkling wine instead of gin. It’s bitter, sweet and bubbly all at once: an improvement on the original! Also try: Classic Negroni, Americano, or Bellini.
- 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) sweet or semi-sweet red vermouth
- 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) Campari
- 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) Prosecco, champagne or other sparkling wine
- Ice, for serving (try clear ice!)
- For the garnish: Orange peel
- Stir the vermouth and Campari in a lowball glass. Add ice.
- Top off the glass with the sparkling wine. Garnish with an orange peel and serve.
- Category: Drink
- Method: Poured
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Italian cocktails, Negroni, Prosecco negroni
More food & travel in Italy
Love Italy? Us too! Here are some of our top posts about Italian travel and cuisine:
- What to Do in Rome Italy or Things to Do in Naples Italy The best travel guides for these ancient cities!
- Tellaro: Italy’s Best Kept Secret A total hidden gem.
- Things to Do in Amalfi Coast, Italy Make sure to hit up this beautiful coastline if you’re traveling to Italy.
- Baked Rigatoni Pasta A favorite baked pasta everyone will love!
- Easy Burrata Recipe This cream filled fresh mozzarella cheese is the ultimate treat.
- 20 Easy Italian Recipes or 13 Vegan Italian Recipes Our top Italian recipes, plus a collection of plant-based spins.
About the Authors
Sonja Overhiser is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best healthy cookbooks of 2018. She’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the food blog A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Sonja seeks to inspire adventurous eating to make the world a better place one bite at a time.
Alex Overhiser is an acclaimed food photographer and author based in Indianapolis. He’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the recipe website A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Alex is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best vegetarian cookbooks by Epicurious.