This limoncello martini has the best intense lemon flavor! Citrus lovers will adore this easy and zingy vodka cocktail.
Citrus lovers, here’s your perfect drink! It’s got an intense lemon flavor and a zingy finish. Meet the Limoncello Martini! This sweet tart number is like a classic lemon drop, except it takes the lemon flavor up a notch by using the popular Italian liqueur. Take one sip and you’ll feel like you’re biting into a lemon…with none of that sour puckering flavor. It’s sweet tart and delicious, with a bit of a vibe of lemonhead candy. Alex whipped this up for me the other day, and I couldn’t stop drinking it. (It’s on par with that limoncello mojito that I’m also a huge fan of.)
What’s in this limoncello martini?
This limoncello martini cocktail is a spin on the flavored vodka martini: which is really just a martini in name only! There’s a whole family of vodka martinis that bear no resemblance to the classic martini at all, which is made with gin and vermouth. There are lots of these flavored vodka drinks, like the espresso martini, pomegranate martini, and more: and some are more standard than others.
There is a lemon-flavored vodka martini that has an official definition: the lemon drop martini! It makes the list of International Bartender Association’s IBA official cocktails. This limoncello martini is similar, but there’s no standard definition for it. We’ve created our own recipe that gets just the right balance of lemon, sweet and tart. The ingredients for a limoncello martini are:
- Lemon juice
- Simple syrup
Limoncello is an Italian lemon liqueur that tastes like biting into an actual lemon! It’s the second most popular liqueur in Italy after Campari. You can get it everywhere in Italy, and it’s customary to drink a shot after a big Italian meal. Limoncello has become very popular in the US, so you should be able to find it easily at your local liquor store. You can also find it online.
Limoncello has a very strong lemon flavor and boozy aftertaste. In fact, it’s so strong straight up that I usually pass it up. But mixed into this lemoncello martini, it’s got just the right balance of sweet and tart to make it go down easy.
How to make a limoncello martini (basic steps)
This limoncello martini is very easy to make. After you’ve All you have to do is measure, shake and strain: there are no fancy syrups or steps that take any time to make. Here’s what to do:
- Shake in a cocktail shaker. Place the vodka, limoncello, lemon juice and simple syrup in a cocktail shaker, add ice, and shake (Don’t have one? Use a mason jar!)
- Strain into a glass and garnish. Strain into a martini glass. If you’d like, garnish with a lemon slice.
And that’s it! You’ll find the limoncello martini has a intense lemony bite and a sweet tart, boozy finish. Let us know if you give it a try in the comments below!
More lemon cocktails
Love lemon flavor? We assume so, if you’re making drinks with limoncello! Here are some more classic lemon cocktails that capitalize on zingy flavor:
- Limoncello Mojito The lemon liqueur makes a incredibly refreshing spin on the classic, paired with rum and fresh mint.
- Limoncello Spritz This sparkling drink has a pure lemon flavor from this Italian liqueur.
- Vodka Lemonade or Bourbon Lemonade Sweet tart and ultra refreshing! A tasty cocktail that works any time of year.
- Best Whiskey Sour Perfectly balanced and so easy to make! *Fan favorite*
- Gin Fizz A classic cocktail that’s sweet and tangy, with a frothy egg white foam topping.
- Tom Collins Cocktail Another classic! Sweet, light and bubbly.
When to serve this limoncello martini
This Limoncello Martini works before dinner, after dinner, or anytime in between. Serve it as a:
- Happy hour drink
- Afternoon cocktail
- Late night drinks drink
- Girls or guys night drink
- Cocktail hour drink
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 1 drink 1x
This limoncello martini has the best intense lemon flavor! Citrus lovers will adore this vodka cocktail.
- 1 ½ ounces (3 tablespoons) limoncello
- 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) vodka
- ½ ounce (1 tablespoon) fresh lemon juice
- ½ ounce (1 tablespoon) simple syrup
- Add the limoncello, vodka, lemon juice and simple syrup to a cocktail shaker. Fill with ice and shake until cold.
- Strain the drink into a cocktail glass. Garnish with a lemon wedge, if desired.
- Category: Drink
- Method: Shaken
- Cuisine: Cocktails
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: Limoncello martini
More vodka martini recipes
There are so many fun flavored martini recipes that make the best of all sorts of ingredients, from fruity to sweet. Here are some of our favorite flavored martini recipes:
- Pomegranate Martini This jewel-toned drink is sweet tart and light: the perfect fruity variation.
- Key Lime Martini Fruity and fun, with a graham cracker crust rim! And Licor 43.
- Espresso Martini or Coffee Martini A modern classic cocktail made with coffee, Kahlua, and vodka!
- Cucumber Martini A crisp, cool take with the refreshing scent of this hydrating vegetable.
- French Martini Classy and balanced with vodka, pineapple juice, and raspberry liqueur.
- Ginger Martini The spicy flavor of the fresh root shines in this ginger cocktail!
- Mexican Martini Love martinis and margaritas? Now you don’t have to choose.
- Watermelon Martini Tastes like summer! Easy to make and full of refreshing sweet flavor.
- Raspberry Martini Bright red and full of berry flavor!
- Chocolate Martini Rich, creamy and oh so decadent.
Holy moly this is SO good! I used limoncino we purchased in Cinque Terre. Now I need to go back to buy another bottle!
Ha! That’s as good an excuse as any :)