Got a lemon? Here are the best lemon cocktails to make when you’re craving citrus, from the lemon drop martini to the whiskey sour.
What’s better than a refreshing lemon cocktail? Fresh lemon juice brings a tangy zing to so many classic drinks! In fact, it’s one of the most used ingredients in mixed drinks (outside of the liquor, of course). Lemon works in all seasons: it brings warm punch to winter and fall drinks, and a lightness to breezy summer cocktails. Outside of lime, it’s one of Alex and my favorite ingredients to use in our cocktail recipes.
Here are the very best lemon cocktails that you should add to your “to try” list. They range from classic drinks like the Lemon Drop Martini and Whiskey Sour, to more inventive spins like a Lemon Margarita (it’s a thing!). Because they use lemon, liquor and sweetener, all of these drinks are part of the family of sour cocktails. Here’s all the best that this sunny citrus has to offer!
And now…the best lemon cocktails to try!
Best lemon juicer
When you’re making lemon cocktails, a good juicer is a must! It makes sure you get all the juice out of the lemon, and none of the seeds. Here’s a lemon juicer we recommend: it’s slick and juices lemons in an instant!
How to make a lemon twist
Lemon cocktails are often garnished with a lemon twist. What’s the easiest way to make one? We’ve got an easy method that doesn’t require any special tools: just a knife! Go to How to Make a Lemon Twist.Print
This Lemon Drop cocktail is sweet tart and zingy, with fresh lemon juice and vodka. Serve with a sugar rim for the full effect!
- 2 ounces (4 tablespoons) vodka
- 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) Cointreau or Triple Sec
- 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) lemon juice
- For the garnish: Lemon twist or slice
- Superfine sugar rim, optional
- Cut a notch in a lemon wedge, then run the lemon around the rim of a glass. Dip the edge of the rim into a plate of superfine sugar.
- Place the vodka, Cointreau, and lemon juice in a cocktail shaker with a handful of ice and shake until cold.
- Strain the drink into the prepared glass. Garnish with a lemon twist or slice.
- Category: Drink
- Method: Shaken
- Cuisine: Cocktail
Keywords: Lemon Drop Cocktail
More types of cocktails
There are lots more great cocktail recipes to try! Here are some of our collections:
- Sour Cocktails All the very best sours: Boston Sour, Sidecar, even the Margarita and Mojito.
- Gin Cocktails All the classics: Gin Fizz, Gin and Tonic, and more!
- Bourbon Cocktails Try these bourbon greats: the Old Fashioned, Manhattan, and more.
- Champagne Cocktails These cocktails are light and bubbly! Perfect for celebration.
- Cranberry Cocktails Vibrant cranberry cocktails are so refreshing, like Vodka Cranberry and Sea Breeze.
- Frozen Alcoholic Drinks Cool off with Frose or Frozen Sangria.
About the Authors
Sonja Overhiser is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best healthy cookbooks of 2018. She’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the food blog A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Sonja seeks to inspire adventurous eating to make the world a better place one bite at a time.
Alex Overhiser is an acclaimed food photographer and author based in Indianapolis. He’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the recipe website A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Alex is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best vegetarian cookbooks by Epicurious.