Warm weather is all about frozen cocktails! Here are our best frozen alcoholic drinks with something for everyone, from frozen margaritas to daiquiris.
Once the weather gets warm, what’s more fun than whizzing up some frozen alcoholic drinks? Alex and I have been making a bunch of frozen cocktail recipes for various gatherings this summer. And it’s been so much fun that we’re sharing all the recipes with you!
Something about frozen drinks makes any occasion more celebratory and carefree. We’ve had our neighbors over for dinner on the patio with frozen margaritas, and watched our toddler Larson splash in his kiddie pool as we sipped frozen sangria. We shared strawberry daiquiris with Alex’s sister as a treat after epic cousins sleepover.
We hope these frozen alcoholic drinks recipes will inspire you to make memories of your own (and drink responsibly, of course!). They’d be perfect drink recipes for 4th of July, bachelorette parties, girls weekends, pool parties, and weekends at the cabin. Are you ready?
A few tips for frozen alcoholic drinks
Before we start, here are a few tips for making these frozen alcoholic drinks:
- Think ahead! To get the frozen texture perfectly icy in many of these frozen alcoholic drinks, you’ll have to think ahead. Several of the recipes below require freezing things the night before: sometimes the entire drink mix, sometimes just a component of it. Below, we’ve noted with a “Tip” when you need freeze things in advance.
- Use best quality alcohol. It might go without saying, but the better the alcohol, the better the drink! Our frozen margaritas taste good with an average tequila, but they taste great with a high quality tequila. If you’re wondering whether to spend a few more dollars in the alcohol department, we’d recommend it.
Looking for more easy cocktail recipes?
Of course, there are so many cocktails outside of frozen alcoholic drinks! Here are a few of our favorite cocktail recipes:
- BEST Classic Margarita
- Strawberry Margarita with Lime Ice
- Favorite Whiskey Sour
- Salt Air Margarita
- Simple Lemon Margarita
- Apple Cider Bourbon Cocktail
- Bloody Mary Recipe
- 23 Classic Cocktails
- Cherry Blueberry Champagne Sparklers
One of the best frozen alcoholic drinks? Frozen sangria! It’s sure to be a favorite: it’s wine-forward and just sweet enough, with a hint of citrus.
- 12 ounces (3 large or 4 to 6 small) clementine oranges, frozen (see below*)
- 10 ounces frozen mixed berries
- 2 cups dry red wine (we used Rioja Tempranillo)
- 2 tablespoons honey (or maple syrup for vegan)
- 1 orange, cut into slices for garnish (optional)
- The night before serving: Peel and section the clementine oranges and pop them in the freezer.
- The day of serving: Blend together the frozen clementine oranges with the berries, red wine, and honey, stopping to scrape down the sides as necessary.
- Serve in glasses garnished with orange slices. Best served immediately. (If you do have leftovers you can freeze for a few hours, but the texture becomes thicker. We don’t recommend freezing overnight: so plan on making a batch right when you plan to serve it!)
- Category: Drinks
- Method: Blender
- Cuisine: Cocktails
Keywords: Frozen Alcoholic Drinks, Frozen Sangria
About the Authors
Sonja Overhiser is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best healthy cookbooks of 2018. She’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the food blog A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Sonja seeks to inspire adventurous eating to make the world a better place one bite at a time.
Alex Overhiser is an acclaimed food photographer and author based in Indianapolis. He’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the recipe website A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Alex is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best vegetarian cookbooks by Epicurious.