Here are the top tequila cocktails to use up a bottle! There’s something for everyone, from the classic margarita to the Mexican mule and tequila sunrise.
Got a bottle of tequila to use up? While it’s best known for the margarita, tequila is versatile and can be used in lots of tasty cocktails. This Mexican liquor made from the agave plant is at home in Mexican style drinks like the Paloma and Mexican mule. But it’s equally as tasty in a 1920’s style sour cocktail like the Tequila Sour. And don’t forget swapping it out for vodka in a Bloody Maria, the Mexican style version of the Bloody Mary. With so many tasty mixed drinks to try…better start mixing!
And now: the top tequila cocktails to try!
Types of tequila
The secret to the best tequila cocktails? Buy a good tequila! A cocktail is only as good as the alcohol you use. Look for a mid-price range tequila (or a high end one, if your budget allows). You can buy either blanco or reposado, depending on the drink. Here’s the difference between these types of tequila and when to use them:
- Tequila blanco (or “new” tequila) has been aged less than 2 months and has a strong, straightforward flavor. Use in easy drinks like the Tequila Sunrise or Frozen Margarita.
- Tequila reposado (“rested” in Spanish) is aged longer, from 2 to 12 months. It has a more nuanced flavor, with notes of oak and vanilla. Use in classy drinks like the Classic Margarita or Cadillac Margarita.
Combine tequila and grapefruit and you’ve got the classic Mexican paloma cocktail! Here’s how to make this tangy and refreshing drink.
- 4 tablespoons (2 ounces) tequila blanco
- 4 tablespoons (2 ounces) fresh squeezed grapefruit juice
- 1 tablespoon (1/2 ounce) fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon (1/2 ounce) maple syrup or simple syrup
- 2 tablespoons (1 ounce) soda water
- Flaky sea salt & grapefruit wedge, for the garnish
- Cut a notch in the grapefruit wedge, then run the grapefruit around the rim of a glass. Dip the edge of the rim into a plate of flaky sea salt.
- To the glass, add the tequila, grapefruit juice, lime juice, syrup and stir until combined.
- Fill the glass with ice (clear ice if you want to get fancy!). Top with soda water and serve!
- Category: Drink
- Method: Stirred
- Cuisine: Cocktails
Keywords: Tequila Cocktails
More types of cocktails
There are so many more great cocktail recipes to try! Here are some of our best drink collections:
- Sour Cocktails All the very best sours: Whiskey Sour, Sidecar, even the Margarita and Mojito.
- Vodka Cocktails Try the greats: Gimlet, Cosmo, and more.
- Gin Cocktails All the classics: Gin Fizz, Tom Collins, Gin & Tonic, and more!
- Bourbon Cocktails Try these bourbon greats, like the Old Fashioned and Manhattan.
- Campari Cocktails Unique spins like the Boulevardier and Negroni Sbagliato, classics like the Negroni.
- Highball Cocktails Easy to drink and even easier to make!
- Cointreau Cocktails All the great drinks using this orange liqueur.
- Champagne Cocktails These cocktails are light and bubbly! Perfect for celebration.
- Cranberry Cocktails Cranberry cocktails are so refreshing, like Vodka Cranberry and Sea Breeze.
- Frozen Alcoholic Drinks Cool off with Frose or Frozen Sangria.
About the Authors
Sonja Overhiser is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best healthy cookbooks of 2018. She’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the food blog A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Sonja seeks to inspire adventurous eating to make the world a better place one bite at a time.
Alex Overhiser is an acclaimed food photographer and author based in Indianapolis. He’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the recipe website A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Alex is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best vegetarian cookbooks by Epicurious.