Here’s how to make the best homemade margarita recipe! Learn the ingredients and ratio to make the classic, plus popular riffs on this drink.
The homemade margarita is at the top of our list of great cocktail recipes you should know. Crisp, cool, tart and refreshing, it’s one of the most popular and versatile drinks of all time. From late night drinks to a dinner party to brunch, there’s no time that’s not better with a margarita in hand.
Here are the very best homemade margarita recipes you can make! Start with the classic way, then venture into more types of margaritas: frozen, skinny, pitcher, beer, jalapeno…even margarita mix! There are countless ways to change up this incredible cocktail. Below the recipes, we’ll share more tips on margarita ingredients, how to make a margarita, the best tequila for margaritas, and more.
And now…the best margarita recipes!
The best margarita recipe! Serve this classic margarita on the rocks with 3 simple ingredients: lime, Cointreau and tequila (no added sugar!). Want to multiply it? Try this Margarita Pitcher Recipe.
Variations: Try Triple Sec Margarita, Cointreau Margarita, or Patron Margarita
Ingredients: Tequila, Cointreau, lime juice
Heat up your cocktail repertoire with this spicy jalapeno margarita recipe! Crisp and tart, it’s got just the right kick. Perfect for sipping or with tacos.
Ingredients: Tequila, Cointreau, lime juice, jalapeño pepper slices
This refreshing skinny margarita recipe boasts 40% less calories than a classic marg! All you need is 4 ingredients and 5 minutes.
Ingredients: Tequila, Fresh lime juice, Fresh squeezed orange juice, maple syrup
You know you love margaritas: but have you tried them frozen? This best frozen margarita recipe will be your new go-to drink!
Ingredients: Tequila, lime juice, Cointreau, simple syrup, ice
This strawberry margarita is cool, icy, tangy, and so refreshing! This fruity spin on the classic cocktail is quick and easy using frozen berries.
Ingredients: Tequila, Cointreau, lime juice, frozen strawberries, agave or simple syrup, ice
Step up your margarita game with the Cadillac Margarita: it uses top-shelf tequila and Grand Marnier liqueur to add sophistication and style!
Ingredients: Tequila reposado, Cointreau, lime juice, Grand Marnier
Here’s the best mango margarita! This sunny spin on the classic drink is so refreshing, with a creamy texture and a tangy sweet mango essence.
Ingredients: Tequila, Cointreau, lime juice, lemon juice, frozen mango, agave or simple syrup, ice
Make a mezcal margarita for a smoky spin on the classic! It’s tangy and smoke-forward, giving this popular cocktail a rich depth.
Ingredients: Tequila, Cointreau, lime juice, mezcal
This margarita recipe marries the perfect combination of flavors: sweet pineapple goes hand in hand with the sharp bite of the tequila and zingy lime. Also try the spicy Pineapple Jalapeno Margarita!
Ingredients: Tequila, Cointreau, pineapple juice, lime juice
This watermelon margarita is tangy, sweet, and seriously refreshing. Instead of salting the rim, it’s lightly salty for a perfectly balanced flavor.
Ingredients: Watermelon, tequila, lime juice, salt
Tropical coconut pairs perfectly with the zing of lime and bite of tequila. The best part? A toasted coconut drink rim gives a crunchy, tropical infusion to each sip.
Ingredients: Tequila, lime, triple sec, cream of coconut
Beergarita, beerita: call it what you will! Here’s the very best beer margarita recipe: with fresh and all natural flavors (no limeade!).
Ingredients: Tequila, Cointreau, lime juice, beer
Here’s a tasty citrus spin on the margarita that might even be more fun to drink than the original. Try this Grapefruit Margarita! The juice adds a lovely delicate pink color.
Ingredients: Tequila, Triple Sec or Cointreau, grapefruit juice, lime juice
This peach margarita is quick, easy and so tasty! Frozen peaches, lime juice and tequila form the most refreshing, sweet tart spin on this classic cocktail.
Ingredients: Tequila, Cointreau, lime juice, frozen peaches, agave or simple syrup, ice
This tasty citrus makes a brilliant bright orange red drink that’s perfectly balanced and sweet tart. In all of our margarita recipes, this one’s a favorite.
Variation: Also try Orange Margarita
Ingredients: Blood orange juice, tequila, Cointreau, lime juice
This cocktail looks as bright as the waters of the Caribbean, doesn’t it? Blue Curacao liqueur is the secret to the jewel-toned color of this Blue Margarita!
Ingredients: Tequila (reposado or blanco), Blue Curacao, or lime juice
An Italian margarita uses amaretto to give this classic cocktail an Italian makeover! Blood orange juice gives it an eye-catching vibrant color.
Ingredients: Tequila, orange juice, amaretto, lime juice
Sweet tart pomegranate juice pairs perfectly with tequila and lime, balanced with the orange perfume of Cointreau. You can use either pomegranate juice or fresh-squeezed juice from the fruit!
Ingredients: Tequila, Cointreau, pomegranate juice, lime juice, simple syrup
The cucumber margarita is a cool, crisp cocktail loaded with flavor! It’s a delicious pale green spin on the classic.
Also try: Cucumber Jalapeno Margarita
Ingredients: Cucumber slices, tequila, Triple Sec, lime juice
This bright red cranberry margarita absolutely stunning to look at, and the sweet tart flavor is crisp and refreshing. It’s got all the character of the classic margarita, but a beautiful nuance to the flavor.
Ingredients: Tequila, Cointreau, cranberry juice, lime juice, simple syrup
This virgin margarita tastes just as good as the real thing! This mocktail is tangy and lightly sweet, with a secret ingredient that takes it over the top.
Ingredients: Lime juice, lemon juice, simple syrup, pickle juice, tonic water
10 more popular margaritas
We couldn’t narrow it down to just 21! Try these other deliciously inventive margarita recipes:
- Prickly Pear Margarita Beautifully pink and sweet!
- Hibiscus Margarita Floral and delicate.
- Texas Margarita Make it the Texas way with OJ!
- Agave Margarita Sweeten with agave instead.
- Hennessy Margarita Use Cognac to step up your marg.
- Vodka Margarita Yes, you can make a margarita with vodka.
- Patron Margarita Make it with the best tequila.
- Orange Margarita One of our favorite fresh spins.
- Triple Sec Margarita Triple sec makes a zippy citrus flavor.
- Raspberry Margarita This bright berry spin takes the cake.
- Blackberry Margarita Dark purple berries make magic.
Margarita ingredients & margarita ratio
Out of all the margarita recipes, there’s nothing better than a classic margarita! It’s tart, with just the right bite from the tequila and scent of orange from the Cointreau. Did you know the classic margarita has no added sugar? Many bars and mixes load it down with sugar. But that strays far from an authentic margarita.
The margarita is a classic alcoholic drink on the list of International Bartender Association’s IBA official cocktails. This means that there’s an “official” definition for margarita ingredients and the margarita ratio. Here’s the perfect formula:
- 1 ½ ounces tequila
- 1 ounce Cointreau
- ¾ ounce lime juice
Some people say the margarita ratio is 3, 2, 1: 3 tablespoons tequila, 2 tablespoons Cointreau and 1 tablespoon lime juice. Here we use the ratio 3, 2, 1.5, since we like our margaritas on the tart side. Feel free to experiment with the ratio that’s right for you!
How to make a margarita at home (3 steps!)
Once you’ve got the ingredients, you’re good to go! Here’s how to make margaritas at home — the single drink method:
- Rim the glass with salt. A classic margarita has salt on the rim. Why? The salt enhances the sweet and sour flavors in the drink!
- Shake in a cocktail shaker. Take that tequila, Cointreau and lime juice and shake it together in a cocktail shaker with 4 ice cubes.
- Strain into a glass. Add ice if serving on the rocks. The margarita is often served in a lowball or Old Fashioned glass, though of course you can use the classic margarita glass too. If you’d like to serve it on the rocks, throw in a few ice cubes (use Clear Ice for a stunning look).
Want to make 8 servings at once? Try our Margarita Pitcher instead! It’s even easier.
Best tequila for a margarita
Here’s the key to how to make all the types of margaritas above: buy a good tequila! A cocktail is only as good as the alcohol you use. Instead of recommending a specific brand, look for a mid-price range tequila (or a high end one, if your budget allows). The price is typically an indicator of quality. The other tip: use tequila reposado instead of blanco! Because it’s aged, it has a more interesting flavor. Here’s the difference between these types of tequila:
- Tequila blanco (or “new” tequila) has been aged less than 2 months and has a strong, straightforward flavor.
- Tequila reposado (“rested” in Spanish) is aged longer, from 2 to 12 months. It has a more nuanced flavor, with notes of oak and vanilla.
Read more at Best Tequila for Margaritas.
How to make a salt rim
The salt rim is essential to all of these margarita recipes. The salt enhances the flavors in the drink, and gives it that classic look. Try our Margarita Salt for a colorful flair: lime zest and orange zest add beautiful orange and green. Here’s how to make a salt rim:
- Spread on a plate: Spread the kosher salt, flaky sea salt, or margarita salt on a plate in an even layer.
- Wet the glass with a lime: Take a lime wedge and cut a notch in the middle: then slide it around the rim of the glass. This perfectly moistens the glass rim without having to use your fingers!
- Rim the outside edge only: Tilt the glass so that only the outside edge goes into the salt. You don’t want it on the inside where it can fall into the drink. Shake off any loose salt into the sink.
Try clear ice to look like a pro!
Want a professional look to your margarita recipes? Add clear ice! It will make your drink look like it came from a trendy bar, but you can easily make it in your own home. All you need is a small cooler and 24 hours. Go to How to Make Clear Ice.
These margarita recipes are…
Vegetarian, vegan, plant-based, dairy-free and gluten-free.Print
The Original Margarita Recipe
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 1 drink 1x
Here’s how to make the best homemade margarita recipe! Learn the ingredients and ratio to make the classic and popular riffs on this drink.
- 1 ½ ounces (3 tablespoons) tequila blanco or reposado
- 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) Cointreau
- ¾ ounce (1 ½ tablespoons) fresh lime juice
- Kosher salt or flaky sea salt, for the rim
- For the garnish: Lime wedge
- Cut a notch in a lime wedge, then run the lime around the rim of a glass. Dip the edge of the rim into a plate of flaky sea salt (or for a festive look, use our Margarita Salt).
- Place all ingredients in a cocktail shaker with 4 ice cubes and shake until cold.
- Strain the margarita into the glass with the salted rim. Fill the glass with ice and serve.
- Category: Cocktails
- Method: Shaken
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: Margarita recipes, margarita recipe, How to make a margarita, How to make margaritas at home, Margarita ingredients, Margarita ratio, Homemade margarita
Last updated: March 2021
Let us know if you have any questions.
Is that salt putting process mandatory beside the glass? I don’t like salt too much that’s why, I want to avoid it.
You can skip!