Here are the best easy appetizer recipes you can whip up for parties! They’re full of healthy ingredients and taste incredible.
It’s hard to find great appetizer recipes: right? For Alex and me, it’s taken quite a while to figure out what guests will love and what’s easy enough to make while juggling cooking the main meal. Make that healthy appetizer recipes and it’s triply difficult! So, A Couple Cooks to the rescue! Here, we’ve put together the best appetizer recipes that both we and our guests consistently enjoy.
What’s healthy? To us, healthy is not so much about calorie-counting. It’s eating whole foods with lots of nutrients, heavy on the vegetables. Many of the recipes below are made with nutrient-rich ingredients and are plant based or vegetarian. Of course, all of them are 100% delicious and total crowd pleasers! Ready to get to the recipes?
And now…the best healthy appetizer recipes!
These loaded sweet potato rounds are the most delicious, crowd pleasing healthy appetizer out there! The roasted sweet potato base is topped with sour cream, cheese, and green onion.
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Hot sauce
- Monterrey Jack and cheddar shredded cheese (Mexican blend)
- 3 green onions
- Sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Cut the sweet potatoes into ¼-inch slices. Place the slices in a large bowl, sprinkle with 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon chili powder, and 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and stir to thoroughly coat both sides of all slices. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, taking care that the rounds do not overlap (if possible). Bake 10 minutes on one side, then remove from the oven, flip all rounds, and bake another 10 minutes until soft.
- While the potatoes bake, thinly slice the green onions.
- When the potatoes are done, remove them from oven and add a dot of hot sauce on each round (or more if desired). Top each round with shredded cheese and wait a few minutes for the cheese to melt (the potatoes will be hot enough at this point to melt the cheese).
- To serve, place the rounds on a platter. Add a dollop of sour cream on each round, and garnish with sliced green onions. (Tip: To make the sour cream easier to dollop, mix it in a bowl with a few drops of water to loosen it).
Note: This recipe makes enough for about 1 baking sheet of rounds; we had a few rounds left over that spilled onto a second sheet.
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Healthy Appetizers, Healthy Appetizer Recipes
More entertaining resources!
Looking for more healthy appetizer recipes and resources entertaining? We’ve got you covered:
- Easy Spinach Dip
- Finger Food Ideas for Parties
- Italian Pasta Party
- 62 One-Bite Appetizers
- Cozy Dinner Party
- How to Throw a Pizza Party
- How to Host a Simple Backyard Party
About the Authors
Sonja Overhiser is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best healthy cookbooks of 2018. She’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the food blog A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Sonja seeks to inspire adventurous eating to make the world a better place one bite at a time.
Alex Overhiser is an acclaimed food photographer and author based in Indianapolis. He’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the recipe website A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Alex is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best vegetarian cookbooks by Epicurious.