Though we mainly avoid meat in our everyday diet, we occasionally splurge for some seafood, especially around the holidays. New Year’s Eve and an engagement celebration made a perfect excuse for something special, and this shrimp cocktail was a hit!
We’d never made our own cocktail sauce, and it turned out to be excellent! I found it far superior to any jarred variety I’ve tried. The addition of fresh horseradish gave the sauce nice kick. I also found dipping vegetables in the sauce to be just as satisfying as the shrimp. We’ll definitely add this recipe to our repertoire!Print
- 1 lb shrimp (frozen and cooked, or fresh)
- 1 cup natural ketchup (sans corn syrup)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh grated horseradish
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Tabasco sauce to taste
- Prepare the shrimp: If the shrimp is frozen and cooked, defrost the shrimp by placing it under cold running water until thawed. If the shrimp is fresh, place it in boiling water until pink.
- Prepare the sauce: In a small bowl, mix together 1 cup ketchup, 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh grated horseradish, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1 tablespoon sugar. Add Tabasco sauce to taste.
- Arrange sauce and shrimp on a serving dish and enjoy!