Here are all the best healthy shrimp recipes! This tasty protein is fast and easy to cook, and it makes the best flavorful and nutritious meals.
Shrimp is a pretty perfect protein: it’s quick to cook, healthy, and juicy and delicious! One medium shrimp has only 7 calories! (Unbelievable, right?) And it takes only 2 to 4 minutes to cook on the stove. This makes it the perfect base for easy and healthy recipes!
Here’s our list of healthy shrimp recipes you should know how to make! There’s nothing like our garlic shrimp, which comes together in just 10 minutes. There’s our quick shrimp tacos, that’s our go-to for both easy weeknights and dinner parties. And of course Asian-style shrimp and broccoli, and then shrimp marinara, Italian-style tossed in a tangy marinara sauce over pasta… Let’s just get to the recipes, shall we?
And now: our best healthy shrimp recipes!
Is shrimp healthy?
- 1 medium shrimp = 7 calories, 1 gram protein
- 1 jumbo shrimp = 14 calories, 1.5 grams protein
Buying sustainable seafood: what to look for
Looking at buying sustainable fish for your shrimp recipes? (If so, kudos!) Here are a few pointers for buying sustainable seafood:
- Look for wild-caught fish if possible. If you live in the US, look for US caught. 90% of the seafood we eat in the US is imported. Imported seafood runs the risk of being overfished, caught under unfair labor practices, or farmed in environmentally harmful ways.
- How your fish is caught matters. Look for hook and line as one example of a sustainable gear type. Bottom trawling is considered the most destructive and least sustainable method.
This healthy garlic shrimp has HUGE flavor in under 10 minutes! A fast and easy dinner for weeknights or entertaining, it will become your go-to.
- 1 pound large shrimp, deveined (peeled or unpeeled, frozen or fresh)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lemon wedges
- Fresh cilantro or parsley, for garnish
- If frozen, thaw the shrimp.
- Mince the garlic.
- Pat the shrimp dry. In a medium bowl, mix the shrimp with the garlic and salt.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil on medium high heat. Cook the shrimp for 1 to 2 minutes per side until opaque and cooked through, turning them with tongs.
- Spritz with juice of the lemon wedges and serve immediately.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Seafood
Keywords: Shrimp Recipes, Healthy Shrimp Recipes
Last updated: March 2020
About the Authors
Sonja Overhiser is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best healthy cookbooks of 2018. She’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the food blog A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Sonja seeks to inspire adventurous eating to make the world a better place one bite at a time.
Alex Overhiser is an acclaimed food photographer and author based in Indianapolis. He’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the recipe website A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Alex is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best vegetarian cookbooks by Epicurious.