Wondering how to make homemade tortilla chips baked in an oven? All you need is 20 minutes, tortillas, olive oil, and salt.
Ready for an easy kitchen DIY that will make you feel totally resourceful? Enter homemade tortilla chips! They’re so fun to make and are the perfect project with family, friends, or kids! Tasting them warm from the oven is one of life’s great pleasures. Pair them with salsa or guacamole (and maybe some margaritas) and you’ve got the perfect appetizer or snack. Why make tortilla chips at home? They’re a little healthier, they taste incredible, and they’re just plain fun. Here’s what to do!
How to make homemade tortilla chips
Alex and I love putting a healthy spin on recipes, so of course our homemade tortilla chips are baked, not fried. Because they’re homemade, they have none of the additives, preservatives and stabilizers that are in the store bought version.
How to make homemade tortilla chips? Here are the basic steps (or skip to the recipe):
- Brush corn tortillas lightly with olive oil and use a pizza cutter to cut them into wedges.
- Place them on a baking sheet and sprinkle them with salt.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 15 minutes. That’s IT! It couldn’t be simpler.
The tortillas that work best for chips
What type of tortillas are best to use in these tortilla chips? Great question. We’ve found that certain brands of tortillas work best in this recipe. Try to avoid using tortillas that are a corn and wheat blend that are very thick. While these are delicious for tacos, they are so thick that they make for tough chips.
The best tortillas we’ve found to use for homemade tortilla chips? Use thin, authentic-style corn tortillas that are pliable and not overly dry. Our favorite brand to use for these chips is Mission brand. Feel free to experiment to find what works best that’s available to you!
How to store homemade tortilla chips
Fact: these baked homemade tortilla chips are best eaten fresh from the oven! We like to make them as close to serving as possible. But if you want to make them ahead, here’s what to do
- Place the chips in an airtight container.
- Store at room temperature up to 1 week. Some tortilla brands are thicker and can become very tough after they’re stored, so try to use as thin of tortillas as possible.
Another plus: built in portion control!
Another great thing about making tortilla chips at home is that the batch is smaller than those huge bags from the grocery store! This can help on portion control. As I mentioned above, when I have a margarita in hand, I have a hard time limiting the chips. Having less of them around at once is helpful…for me at least!
Ways to serve homemade tortilla chips
It’s not rocket science to figure out how to use baked homemade tortilla chips! However, we’ve got lots of great recipes that are begging to be dipped with these crunchy crisps. Here are some of the highlights:
- Salsa: Here’s our Best Salsa Recipe, made with fresh tomatoes. Or try Mango Salsa, Salsa Verde, Pico de Gallo, Fire-Roasted Tomato Salsa, or Black Bean Salsa.
- Guacamole: This Simple Guacamole recipe is one of the best out there.
- Dips: This Mexican Cheese Dip is decadent and cheesy. Or try this Refried Bean Dip for a vegan version that’s just as satisfying.
- Queso: This Vegan Queso is pretty magical.
- Nachos: Try these chips in Grillable Loaded Nachos or BEST Vegan Nachos.
This tortilla chips recipe is…
Vegetarian, vegan, plant-based, and dairy-free.Print
Wondering how to make homemade tortilla chips baked in an oven? All you need is 20 minutes, tortillas, olive oil, and salt. Ready?
- 12 corn tortillas (for best results use thin, authentic-style corn tortillas that are pliable and not overly dry; we like Mission brand)
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the tortillas with olive oil on both sides. Use a pizza cutter to cut them into 8 wedges per tortilla.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the chips on the sheet and sprinkle with kosher salt. Bake for 15 minutes and check if they are crisp; if not, bake a few minutes more. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Category: Snack
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: homemade tortilla chips, homemade tortilla chips baked, how to make homemade tortilla chips, snacks, healthy snacks, chips, homemade chips
Looking for healthy snacks?
Outside of these baked homemade tortilla chips, here are a few of our favorite healthy snacks:
- Vegetable Hummus Tortilla Rollups Fill tortillas with veggies and hummus and roll them up: a perfect snack!
- Dark Chocolate Hummus This hummus has a decadent, dark chocolate spin: it’s perfect with fruit or pretzels.
- Cinnamon Yogurt Fruit Dip The perfect dip for fruit: in just 5 minutes.
- Pecan Energy Bars The perfect wholesome snack! It’s naturally sweet, featuring oats, chia seeds, and pecans.
- Simple Homemade Hummus The BEST zesty flavor and creamy texture: and it’s much cheaper and tastier than store bought!
Last updated: April 2020
About the Authors
Sonja Overhiser is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best healthy cookbooks of 2018. She’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the food blog A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Sonja seeks to inspire adventurous eating to make the world a better place one bite at a time.
Alex Overhiser is an acclaimed food photographer and author based in Indianapolis. He’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the recipe website A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Alex is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best vegetarian cookbooks by Epicurious.