These essential Campari cocktails are must-try recipes perfect for using up a bottle! Try everything from a classic Negroni to a bubbly spritz.
Ahh, Campari. This Italian bitter aperitif has adoring fans all over the world. And for good reason: it’s flavor is nuanced, bittersweet and herbaceous all at once! It was invented in Italy back in the 1860s, and spawned famous Campari cocktails like the Negroni and Americano.
But there are so many more things to do with a bottle of Campari! If you’re looking for inspiration to use up your bottle, here are all the best ways to use it. From the smoky Mezcal Negroni to the bourbon hints in the Boulevardier to the light and bubbly Campari Spritz, there’s something for everyone.
And now, the best Camapri cocktails!
More about Campari
Campari is an Italian bitter (amaro) and you can identify it by its bright red jewel-toned color! It was invented back in the 1860’s in Italy as an aperitif, a drink to stimulate your appetite before a meal. Campari tastes bitter, fruity, and spicy all at once. It’s is infused with different herbs and fruits (part of a secret recipe). You’ll taste notes of cherry, clove, cinnamon and orange peel. It’s got a fairly high alcohol content (48 proof) and is used in classic cocktails like the Negroni and the Americano.
Fun fact: Campari was originally colored so brightly red due to a dye made of crushed insects! That’s no longer in the modern recipe, so it shouldn’t deter you from grabbing a bottle.
Tip: Want a substitute for this specialty liqueur? Go to Best Campari Substitute.Print
The Campari spritz is bitter and bubbly: a refreshing mixed drink for sipping! Make this easy cocktail with 3 ingredients in 3 minutes.
- 2 ounces (4 tablespoons) Campari
- 3 ounces (6 tablespoons) sparkling wine, such as Prosecco, sparkling rosé, champagne
- 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) soda water
- Ice (try clear ice!)
- Add the Campari to glass filled with ice and stir. Top with the sparkling wine and soda water.
- Squeeze in the lemon wedge and stir gently, then serve.
- Category: Drink
- Method: Stirred
- Cuisine: Cocktails
Keywords: Campari Cocktails
More types of cocktails
Outside of these Campari cocktails, there are so many more great cocktail recipes! Here are some of our best drink collections:
- Sour Cocktails All the very best sours: Whiskey Sour, Sidecar, even the Margarita and Mojito.
- Gin Cocktails All the classics: Gin Fizz, Tom Collins, Gin and Tonic, and more!
- Vodka Cocktails There are so many tasty classic drinks to try, from the Moscow mule to the Cosmo to the vodka tonic.
- Bourbon Cocktails Try these bourbon greats: the Old Fashioned, Manhattan, and more.
- Champagne Cocktails These cocktails are light and bubbly! Perfect for celebration.
- Cranberry Cocktails Cranberry cocktails are so refreshing, like Vodka Cranberry and Sea Breeze.
- Frozen Alcoholic Drinks Cool off with Frose or Frozen Sangria.
About the Authors
Sonja Overhiser is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best healthy cookbooks of 2018. She’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the food blog A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Sonja seeks to inspire adventurous eating to make the world a better place one bite at a time.
Alex Overhiser is an acclaimed food photographer and author based in Indianapolis. He’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the recipe website A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Alex is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best vegetarian cookbooks by Epicurious.