Bourbon lemonade is the perfect summer drink! This bourbon lemon cocktail is sweet with a spicy whiskey finish.
Here’s a drink that’s ideal for when temperatures rise: bourbon lemonade! This refreshing summer cocktail is great for beating the heat. Make up a big pitcher of fresh squeezed lemonade, refreshing and sweet tart. Then swirl it with some bourbon in a glass so you get all that boozy, spicy finish to each sip. Alex recently made this spiked version of our favorite summer drink, and it was great for a summer evening on the porch. This one’s quick and easy, and we assure you: it goes down easy. Here’s how to make this bourbon lemon cocktail!
What’s in bourbon lemonade?
Great question! This bourbon lemonade is one of those two ingredient cocktails where the ingredients are in the name. You know, like Gin and Tonic? Or Vodka Cranberry? Yes, this bourbon lemon cocktail is really just what’s in it’s name. The ingredients you need are:
- Fresh squeezed homemade lemonade (lemons and sugar)
- Bourbon whiskey
It might sound daunting to make your own fresh lemonade, but it’s truly simple. We’ve got two variations: pitcher style, and by the glass. You can use any type of whiskey, if you like, for a Whiskey Lemonade.
How to make lemonade: pitcher style or by the glass
You can mix up a big pitcher of lemonade for this bourbon lemonade recipe, which comes out to about 8 to 9 cups of lemonade. That’s enough for 16 servings of bourbon lemonade! You can either refrigerate the remainder to drink off of all week, or if you can make lemonade by the glass. Here’s what you’ll do in either case:
- Juice the lemons. This is the most time consuming part of the process…by far! A citrus press juicer makes quick work of it.
- Mix the sugar with warm water. There’s no need to make a simple syrup on the stove. Just mix sugar and warm water.
- Add the cold water and lemon juice. Voila! Go to our homemade lemonade for more: it has the ingredients for pitcher style and by the glass.
The bourbon to use
Do you love bourbon? You’ll want to use a good brand in this bourbon lemonade. Our rule of thumb is: buy good liquor to make a good drink! This drink is not quite as whiskey-forward as the Old Fashioned or Mint Julep. But with only lemon and sugar to balance, the bourbon needs to hold its own.
Opt for a bourbon that is mid-priced if you can: that’s typically a general indicator of quality. The bourbon we used was Bulleit Bourbon. We also like to use locally distilled spirits when we can find them.
Top off bourbon lemonade with bubbles if you like!
Once you’ve got your lemonade and bourbon: this drink is as easy as mixing the two together. Yes, no tricks: it really is that simple. Some people like to top off their bourbon lemonade with bubbles. It’s a matter of taste, but I’m always up for a little bubbly! We like to use soda water because it’s unsweetened, but you could also try ginger ale if you like your drinks extra sugary.
Related bourbon lemon cocktails
Lemon and bourbon are an age old combination! There are lots of classic cocktails that use this pairing. Here are some additional bourbon lemon cocktails to try:
- Best Whiskey Sour The most famous pairing of lemon and bourbon is in the whiskey sour! Our recipe is is perfectly balanced and so easy to make. *A fan fave!
- Bourbon Smash A refreshing bourbon cocktail that’s full of flavor: balanced and lemony, with a hint of mint.
- Gold Rush Cocktail Tangy, refreshing and classy: a spin on the whiskey sour using honey! This modern classic has a retro feel.
- Bourbon Sidecar Bright and classy, a variation on the classic Sidecar. Citrus forward with a spicy whisky finish!
- Raspberry Lemonade, Strawberry Lemonade or Pink Lemonade Add bourbon to these pink drinks for a spiked spin.
When to serve bourbon lemonade
This bourbon lemonade is tangy and bright; it’s a perfect party drink! Try it as a:Print
Bourbon lemonade is a perfect summer drink! Make fresh squeezed lemonade and swirl it with whiskey for a spicy finish.
- 4 to 6 ounces (1/2 to 3/4 cup) homemade fresh lemonade
- 2 ounces (4 tablespoons) bourbon*
- For the garnish: Fresh mint, cocktail cherry
*Want a bigger serving and serve in a highball glass? Use 1 cup lemonade and 2 ounces bourbon.
- Category: Drink
- Method: Poured
- Cuisine: Cocktails
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: Bourbon lemonade
More bourbon cocktails
Bourbon is a standby in most liquor cabinets! There’s a myriad of cocktails you can make with this tasty spirit. Here are a few more famous bourbon cocktails:
- Kentucky Mule A bubbly and refreshing way to enjoy your bourbon…in a copper mug.
- Brown Derby This retro drink features grapefruit and honey syrup: sweet and refreshing!
- Manhattan Cocktail This sophisticated whiskey drink has a long history.
- New York Sour This stunning sour has a whiskey sour on the bottom and a red wine layer on top.
- Classic Old Fashioned Here’s the oldest cocktail there is: a truly timeless drink. Or try it smoked!
- Paper Plane A standout modern classic that mixes bourbon and Aperol.