Here are the most famous New Orleans cocktails that come from The Big Easy! This city’s cocktail culture is second to none.
There’s nothing quite like the food and wine scene in New Orleans! The Big Easy is home to some of the country’s greatest food traditions, and the cocktail culture is second to none. Several great drinks have risen to the top and solidified themselves as classics.
Here are the top most popular New Orleans cocktails to try! There’s the boozy Sazerac, with its surprising black licorice finish, milk punch with its creamy sweetness, and the ever popular fruity Hurricane. Want to make them all? Let’s get started.
And now…the top New Orleans cocktails!
Here’s how to make a Sazerac, the official cocktail of New Orleans! Cognac, whiskey and absinthe make up this famous drink that tastes like no other.
- 3–4 dashes Peychaud’s bitters
- 1 sugar cube
- 1 teaspoon absinthe
- 1 1/2 ounces (3 tablespoons) Cognac
- 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) rye whiskey
- Lemon twist
- In a mixing glass, add the sugar cube and coat it with the bitters. Muddle the sugar cube with a cocktail muddler or wooden spoon until mostly dissolved. Add the Cognac, rye whiskey and absinthe and fill the mixing glass with a handful of ice.
- Stir until cold. Strain the drink into a chilled low ball glass.
- Use a knife to remove a 1″ wide strip of the lemon peel. Squeeze the lemon peel into the drink to release the oils. Gently run the peel around the edge of the glass, then place it in the glass and serve.
- Category: Drink
- Method: Stirred
- Cuisine: Cocktails
Keywords: New Orleans Cocktails
Looking for more cocktails outside of these New Orleans cocktails? Here are some of our favorite collections:
- Classics: Try Sour Cocktails, Classic Cocktails, or Great Cocktail Recipes.
- Easy: These 10 Easy Mixed Drinks have 2 to 3 ingredients.
- The Big 5: These drink lists all feature the top 5 most popular alcohols: Gin Cocktails, Vodka Cocktails, Whiskey Cocktails, Tequila Cocktails or Rum Cocktails.
- By Season: Try our Fall Drinks, Fall Cocktails, Winter Drinks, Holiday Drinks, or Summer Cocktails.
- By Ingredient: Try our cocktails with Cointreau, Amaretto, Wine, Cranberry, Lemon, Lime, Grapefruit, Pineapple, Campari, Vermouth, Coffee, or Orange Juice.
About the Authors
Sonja Overhiser is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best healthy cookbooks of 2018. She’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the food blog A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Sonja seeks to inspire adventurous eating to make the world a better place one bite at a time.
Alex Overhiser is an acclaimed food photographer and author based in Indianapolis. He’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the recipe website A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Alex is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best vegetarian cookbooks by Epicurious.