Here are the best Hennessy cocktails to try with this centuries old brand of Cognac! It shines in classics from the Sidecar to the Sazerac.
Got Hennessy and want to mix up a drink? You’re in luck: there are loads of great classic cocktails to make with this ages old brand of Cognac. The Hennessy company was founded over 250 years ago in 1765 in France. Today it produces 40% of the world’s Cognac, making it the largest producer of Cognac worldwide. If you’re ready to move beyond drinking it neat, here’s where to start.
Here are 6 classic Hennessy cocktails that highlight the best of its bold flavor! Try a Hennessy Sazerac, the boozy official cocktail of New Orleans. Or if you prefer something sweeter, try the Sidecar, one of the most classic cocktails starring Cognac. And of course…you can’t go wrong with the simple mix of Hennessy and Coke! Let’s get mixing.
And now…6 great Hennessy cocktails to try!
What do the letters mean?
Cognac is a type of French brandy, a liquor made from distilling wine. There are several grades of Hennessy Cognac that designate how long it’s been aged:
- VS or 3 stars (2 years)
- VSOP (4 years)
- Napoléon (6 years)
- XO (10 years)
Watch out, bottles of XO can be upwards of $200! No need to go that high-end, of course. You can use a mid-priced VS or VSOP Cognac for all of the Hennessy cocktails above.Print
The best way to use this classy Cognac? Try this Hennessy Margarita recipe, full of flavor and sophistication.
- 1 1/2 ounces* tequila reposado
- 1 ounce Hennessy Cognac
- 1 ounce Cointreau (or Triple Sec)
- 1/2 ounce lime juice
- For the garnish: lime wedges
- Cut a notch in a lime wedge, then run the lime around the rim of a glass. Dip the edge of the rim into a plate of salt (or for a festive look, use Margarita Salt).
- Place the tequila, Hennessy, Cointreau and lime juice in a cocktail shaker with 1 handful ice cubes and shake until cold.
- Strain the margarita into the glass with the salted rim. Fill the glass with ice and serve.
*To convert to tablespoons, 1 ounce = 2 tablespoons
- Category: Drink
- Method: Shaken
- Cuisine: Cocktails
Keywords: Hennessy cocktails
More cocktail recipes
Looking for more drinks outside of these Hennessy cocktails? We’ve got 200+ cocktails for every occasion:
- Classics: Try Sour Cocktails, Classic Cocktails, or Great Cocktail Recipes.
- Easy: These 10 Easy Mixed Drinks have 2 to 3 ingredients.
- The Big 5: Try our best Gin Cocktails, Vodka Cocktails, Whiskey Cocktails, Tequila Cocktails or Rum Cocktails.
- By Season: Try our Fall Drinks, Fall Cocktails, Winter Drinks, Holiday Drinks, or Summer Cocktails.
- By Ingredient: Try our cocktails with Cointreau, Amaretto, Wine, Cranberry, Lemon, Lime, Grapefruit, Pineapple, Campari, Vermouth, Coffee, or Orange Juice.
About the Authors
Sonja Overhiser is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best healthy cookbooks of 2018. She’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the food blog A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Sonja seeks to inspire adventurous eating to make the world a better place one bite at a time.
Alex Overhiser is an acclaimed food photographer and author based in Indianapolis. He’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the recipe website A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Alex is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best vegetarian cookbooks by Epicurious.