This post may include affiliate links; for details, see our disclosure policy.
Got a bottle of Fernet? Here are the top Fernet Branca cocktails to impress your friends with this bitter Italian amaro.
Got a bottle of Fernet-Branca? This Italian amaro is quite the trend, an ultra bitter Italian liqueur made with a mix of herbs and spices. You can use a splash in cocktails, stir it into cola (as Argentinians do!), or even drink it straight. But it’s got such a bitter, astringent flavor that’s at its very best in cocktails.
At A Couple Cooks, we’re cocktail experts with over 300 cocktail recipes under our belt. Here are our three must-try Fernet Branca cocktails, from classic cocktails to modern spins! The Fernet adds intrigue and complexity in a way no other Italian amaro can.
Tip: How to pronounce Fernet-Branca? It’s Italian, so say “Fair-net brahn-ka”. Resist the temptation to make it French and say Fair-nay. Want to know more about this liqueur? Head to our Quick Guide to Fernet Branca.
And now…our top Fernet Branca cocktails!
More great Italian amaro cocktails
Fernet Branca is just one amaro in a family of liqueurs. Amaro or amari (plural) refers to a family of Italian herbal liqueurs with a bitter flavor. In fact, amaro means bitter in Italian. This family encompasses a wide range of spirits: Campari on one end, Aperol in the middle, and hundreds of varieties in between. Want more amaro cocktails? Here are some favorite classic cocktails that use these trendy liqueurs:
- Black Manhattan with Amaro Averna
- Amaro Spritz with Amaro Meletti
- Paper Plane with Amaro Nonino Quintessentia
- Brooklyn with Amaro Tosolini
- Cynar Negroni with Cynar
- Classic Negroni or Jungle Bird with Campari
- Aperol Spritz or Naked and Famous with Aperol
This flavorful Toronto cocktail combines the depth and warmth of whiskey with the intrigue of herbal Fernet-Branca liqueur.
- 2 ounces (4 tablespoons) rye whiskey
- ½ ounce (1 tablespoon) Fernet-Branca
- ½ tablespoon simple syrup or pure maple syrup
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- For the garnish: Orange peel
- Combine the rye whiskey, Fernet-Branca, syrup and bitters in a cocktail mixing glass (or any other type of glass). Fill the mixing glass with 1 handful ice and stir continuously for 30 seconds.
- Strain into a glass. Garnish with an orange peel and serve.
- Category: Drink
- Method: Shaken
- Cuisine: Cocktails
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: Fernet branca cocktails