There’s nothing better than a cozy drink to warm you up in the cold! Here are the best winter drinks, from cocktails to hot chocolate.
If you’re not a cold weather person, here’s our winter survival tip: winter drinks! Yes, it’s possible for hot drinks to make up for some of the warmth the sun’s rays. Snuggle up with a fuzzy blanket and one of these drinks, and you’ll be channeling inner cozy in no time!
Here Alex and I put together all our best winter drink recipes for when the days are gray and the evenings are chilly. There’s everything from winter cocktails like our jewel-toned apple cider sangria, to hot drinks like our spiced mulled cider and homemade hot chocolate. We’ve even got that old favorite the hot toddy, perfect for sipping on a cold winter’s night.
And now, our best winter drinks!
The epitome of cozy winter drinks, mulled hot apple cider is seriously easy to make at home! It’s infused with spices like cinnamon, allspice, and cloves.
- 1 whole nutmeg
- 10 allspice berries
- 10 cloves
- 2 star anise
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 gallon apple cider*
- 1/4 cup rum, optional
- 1 small orange, for garnish
- Whole cranberries, for garnish
- Add the nutmeg, allspice, cloves, star anise and cinnamon to the bottom of a pot. Toast over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until fragrant. (If you have a slow cooker or Instant Pot, go to Slow Cooker Apple Cider for the next step.)
- Turn the heat to low. Pour in the apple cider and bring to below a simmer, just barely bubbling. Warm for 1 hour on low heat (don’t let it simmer). Skim off any particulate if desired, or stir to re-incorporate it.
- If using, stir in the rum. Garnish with orange slices and cranberries, then serve.
- Category: Drinks
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Winter Drinks, Winter Drink Recipes, Mulled Apple Cider, Apple Cider with Mulling Spices
More drink recipes
Of course, we’ve got more where those came from! Here are a few wintery drink recipes you might enjoy:
- Favorite Whiskey Sour Recipe This sweet tart family favorite recipe is naturally sweetened and always a hit.
- 10 Christmas Cocktails & Drinks These holiday drinks offer something for everyone, from martinis to spiced cider.
- 10 Fantastic Fall Drinks This lineup includes a few more non-alcoholic options that would be great for winter, too.
- 10 Fall Cocktails for the Season These brilliant cocktails are full of cozy flavor and fall flavor.
- Best Moscow Mule Recipe Moscow mules can work in the cold, too, right? Here’s that classic recipe.
- Apple Sangria Made the traditional Spanish way with red wine! It amps up the apples and cinnamon for a cozy variation.
- Wild card: The Ski Lift sounds like an intriguing winter cocktail.
Last updated: December 2020
About the Authors
Sonja Overhiser is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best healthy cookbooks of 2018. She’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the food blog A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Sonja seeks to inspire adventurous eating to make the world a better place one bite at a time.
Alex Overhiser is an acclaimed food photographer and author based in Indianapolis. He’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the recipe website A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Alex is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best vegetarian cookbooks by Epicurious.