This post may include affiliate links; for details, see our disclosure policy.
Want a cozy warming drink? Try a tea latte! Here are all the best tea latte recipes with the perfect frothy foam topping.
Are you a tea latte lover? This tasty beverage may not have an ounce of coffee, but it’s become a coffeehouse masterpiece. There’s nothing better than cozying up to a great tea latte, especially in cool weather. Did you know you can bring the magic of the coffeeshop right into your home? It’s easy to make a tea latte: all you’ve got to do is perfect the art of milk frothing, and you’re in business.
There are lots of different tea lattes: from a Tea Latte with hot tea to that famous spin on masala chai, the Chai Latte (and everything in between). No matter what drink you choose: we guarantee it will be delicious.
And now…the best tea latte recipes to try!
Equipment to make the perfect tea latte foam
Each of these tea latte recipes have instructions on how to make the perfect frothed milk topping. This can require some special equipment: or there’s one tool that you probably have at home.
- French press: This is the method we use. It’s easy and results in great foam! Here’s a link to buy a French press. Plus, you can also use it to make coffee.
- Handheld milk frother: This tool is made especially for frothing! It’s very easy to use and pretty cheap, coming in at $10. Here’s a link to buy a handheld milk frother.
- Whisk: If you don’t want to buy special equipment, that’s ok! You can use a whisk and it works (just not nearly as well as the other two).
- 4 ounces (½ cup) strong black tea (1 tea bag and ½ cup water)
- 4 ounces (½ cup) whole milk*
- ½ tablespoon maple syrup
- Make the tea using 1 black tea bag and ½ cup water. Allow to steep for several minutes.
- Add the milk and maple syrup to a small saucepan. Heat the milk to 150 degrees Fahrenheit (measure using a thermometer): this is hot with some small bubbles forming around the outside, but not simmering. The exact temperature is helpful for getting the perfect foam (if you don’t have a thermometer you can approximate).
- Use a hand frother, whisk, or French press to foam the milk into small, even bubbles. (The French press is our favorite method: Add the scalding milk to the French press and pump using quick, short plunges for 20 seconds until small foamy bubbles occur. Pour into a pitcher and tap it on the counter to break down large bubbles. You’ll get best results with 1 cup of milk for two drinks.)
- Pour the tea into a cup. Gently pour the milk and foam into the center of tea.
*If you’re using the French press frothing method, note that you’ll get best results using 1 cup milk and making 2 drinks.
- Category: Drink
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Tea
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Tea latte recipes
More cozy drinks
Looking for more cozy drinks like this one? Some of our favorite warming drinks for the season are:
- Mulled Wine Simmer red wine with orange zest, cloves, cinnamon sticks, allspice and honey. It’s a crowd pleaser!
- Hot Buttered Rum This cozy drink is great for chilly fall evenings or as a cocktail for holiday season.
- Hot Apple Cider or Mulled Cider Easy and makes your kitchen smell amazing. Or add rum to make it Spiked Apple Cider.