Here are the best grapefruit cocktails to try! This fresh citrus fruit features in many classic cocktails, from Paloma to Greyhound to Brown Derby.
Grapefruit is an underdog in the citrus world, but it’s not forgotten in the world of cocktails! Fresh grapefruit juice features in many classic cocktails: it adds a unique hit of sweet and lends a pale pink color. Some drinks are full on pink grapefruit, while others use it as a background element. From the breezy refreshing Greyhound to the bold bourbon vibes of the Brown Derby, there’s a little something for everyone. Here’s our list of must-try drinks that feature this vibrant fruit.
And now…the top grapefruit cocktails to try!
Always use fresh grapefruit juice!
In all of the grapefruit cocktails above, we stress this: use fresh squeezed grapefruit juice! As with any citrus, the bottled stuff just isn’t as good. Fresh grapefruit juice has just the right sweet, lightly tangy flavor. You’ll be glad you stocked up on grapefruits instead of the packaged juice.Print
Combine tequila and grapefruit and you’ve got the classic Paloma cocktail! This all natural version of the tangy and refreshing drink uses grapefruit instead of grapefruit soda.
- 4 tablespoons (2 ounces) tequila blanco
- 4 tablespoons (2 ounces) fresh squeezed grapefruit juice
- 1 tablespoon (1/2 ounce) fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon (1/2 ounce) maple syrup or simple syrup
- 2 tablespoons (1 ounce) soda water
- Flaky sea salt & grapefruit wedge, for the garnish
- Cut a notch in the grapefruit wedge, then run the grapefruit around the rim of a glass. Dip the edge of the rim into a plate of flaky sea salt.
- To the glass, add the tequila, grapefruit juice, lime juice, syrup and stir until combined.
- Fill the glass with ice (clear ice if you want to get fancy!). Top with soda water and serve!
- Category: Drink
- Method: Stirred
- Cuisine: Cocktails
Keywords: Grapefruit Cocktails
More types of cocktails
There are so many more great cocktail recipes to try! Here are some of our best drink collections:
- Lemon Cocktails Tangy and citrusy drinks like the Lemon Drop Martini.
- Sour Cocktails All the very best sours: Whiskey Sour, Sidecar, Mojito and more,
- Vodka Cocktails Try the greats like the Gimlet and Mule.
- Gin Cocktails All the classics: Gin Fizz, Tom Collins, Gin & Tonic, etc.
- Bourbon Cocktails Try these bourbon greats, like the Old Fashioned and Manhattan.
- Campari Cocktails Brilliant red cocktails starring this bitter liqueur.
- Highball Cocktails Easy to drink and even easier to make!
- Cointreau Cocktails All the great drinks using this orange liqueur.
- Champagne Cocktails These cocktails are light and bubbly! Perfect for celebration.
- Cranberry Cocktails Cranberry cocktails are so refreshing, like the Vodka Cranberry.
About the Authors
Sonja Overhiser is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best healthy cookbooks of 2018. She’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the food blog A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Sonja seeks to inspire adventurous eating to make the world a better place one bite at a time.
Alex Overhiser is an acclaimed food photographer and author based in Indianapolis. He’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the recipe website A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Alex is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best vegetarian cookbooks by Epicurious.