Here are the best Cointreau drinks featuring this tasty orange liqueur! If you’ve got a bottle to use up, there are so many fantastic cocktails to try.
Got a bottle of Cointreau and not sure how to use it up? Luckily, there are many stellar Cointreau drinks to choose from! Cointreau is an orange liqueur with a beautiful orange perfume flavor. While you can drink it straight, it’s most well known for being used in cocktails like the Margarita and Cosmopolitan. Cointreau is a type of triple sec, which means “triple distilled.” It was first invented in 1875, and now it’s sold all over the world!
Around here we most often drink Cointreau in our classic margarita! But there are lots of other great drinks that use this citrus-forward, lightly sweet liqueur.
And now…the best Cointreau drinks!
The best margarita recipe! Here’s how to make a classic Cointreau margarita with 3 simple ingredients: lime, Cointreau and tequila.
- 1 1/2 ounces (3 tablespoons) tequila blanco or reposado
- 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) Cointreau
- 3/4 ounce (1 1/2 tablespoons) fresh lime juice
- Kosher salt or flaky sea salt, for the rim
- For the garnish: Lime wedge
- Cut a notch in a lime wedge, then run the lime around the rim of a glass. Dip the edge of the rim into a plate of flaky sea salt (or for a festive look, use our Margarita Salt).
- Place all ingredients in a cocktail shaker with 4 ice cubes and shake until cold.
- Strain the margarita into the glass with the salted rim. Fill the glass with ice and serve.
- Category: Drink
- Method: Shaken
- Cuisine: Cocktails
Keywords: Cointreau Drinks
More types of cocktails
Outside of these Cointreau drinks, there are many more great cocktail recipes! Here are some of our best drink collections:
- Sour Cocktails All the very best sours: Whiskey Sour, Sidecar, even the Margarita and Mojito.
- Gin Cocktails All the classics: Gin Fizz, Gin and Tonic, and more!
- Bourbon Cocktails Try these bourbon greats: the Old Fashioned, Manhattan, and more.
- Champagne Cocktails These cocktails are light and bubbly! Perfect for celebration.
- Cranberry Cocktails Cranberry cocktails are so refreshing, like Vodka Cranberry and Sea Breeze.
- Frozen Alcoholic Drinks Cool off with Frose or Frozen Sangria.
About the Authors
Sonja Overhiser is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best healthy cookbooks of 2018. She’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the food blog A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Sonja seeks to inspire adventurous eating to make the world a better place one bite at a time.
Alex Overhiser is an acclaimed food photographer and author based in Indianapolis. He’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the recipe website A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Alex is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best vegetarian cookbooks by Epicurious.