Here are all the best mezcal cocktails to try! This Mexican spirit adds a smoky nuance to mixed drinks from the mule to the margarita.
Are you a mezcal fan? This smoky Mexican liquor is having a moment: its bold, smoky flavor has cocktail connoisseurs everywhere swooning. This spirit is great when it’s mixed into a drink to perfection: too much and it completely overpowers the flavors. So when you want to use it…think about these great mezcal cocktail recipes!
Here a few of our top mezcal cocktails to make at home! Of course, it’s stellar with lime and tequila as as margarita. And it works just as well with ginger beer in a copper mug as a mule. Here are a few more great ideas on how to infuse this smoky flavor into your favorite cocktails.
And now…the top mezcal cocktails to try!
More about mezcal
Want to grab a bottle for all these mezcal cocktails? Here’s a bit more about this smoky Mexican spirit and how it’s made:
- Mezcal is a type of alcohol made from the agave plant (like tequila). Tequila is mezcal, but not all mezcal is tequila. Only one type of agave plant (blue agave) makes tequila, but mezcal can be made from 11 different varieties of agave. Read more at Mezcal vs Tequila
- How is mezcal made? What gives mezcal its signature smoky flavor is cooking the agave in pits in the ground. It brings a depth and smokiness you don’t find in tequila.
- How much does mezcal cost? A bottle of mezcal on average costs between $20 and $40, but high end brands can cost much more.
- What’s the best mezcal to buy? Go to The Best Mezcal at Any Price.
Make a mezcal margarita for a smoky spin on the classic! It’s tangy and smoke-forward, giving this popular cocktail a rich depth.
- 2 tablespoons (1 ounce) mezcal
- 2 tablespoons (1 ounce) tequila blanco or reposado
- 2 tablespoons (1 ounce) Cointreau
- 2 tablespoons (1 ounce) fresh lime juice
- Kosher salt or flaky sea salt, for the rim
- For the garnish: Lime circle
- Cut a notch in a lime wedge, then run the lime around the rim of a glass. Dip the edge of the rim into a plate of flaky sea salt (or for a festive look, use Margarita Salt).
- Place the mezcal, tequila, Cointreau, and lime juice in a cocktail shaker with 4 ice cubes and shake until cold.
- Strain the margarita into the glass with the salted rim. Fill the glass with ice and serve.
- Category: Drink
- Method: Stirred
- Cuisine: Cocktails
Keywords: Mezcal cocktails, Mezcal margarita
More cocktail recipes
There are so many types of cocktail recipes to try! Here are some of our best drink collections:
- Amaretto Cocktails From the Amaretto Sour to the Italian margarita.
- Vermouth Cocktails All the best drinks using dry or sweet vermouth.
- Vodka Cocktails Try the greats like the Gimlet and Mule.
- Sour Cocktails All the very best sours: Whiskey Sour, Sidecar, Mojito and more.
- Cointreau Cocktails All the great drinks using this orange liqueur.
- Gin Cocktails All the classics: Gin Fizz, Tom Collins, Gin & Tonic, etc.
- Bourbon Cocktails Try these bourbon greats, like the Old Fashioned and Manhattan.
- Scotch Cocktails Unique mixed drinks using this Scottish whisky.
- Campari Cocktails Brilliant red cocktails starring this bitter liqueur.