This post may include affiliate links; for details, see our disclosure policy.
This pineapple rum cocktail is a stunning mixed drink with a tropical flair! Use any type of rum you have on hand, even pineapple rum.
Pineapple and rum are one of those natural flavor pairings, like tomatoes and basil or PB&J. In fact, together they make most famous rum cocktails of all time, the piña colada. But want to mix it up? Try this Pineapple Rum Cocktail! It’s sweet tart, tropical and sophisticated with loads of nuance in the flavor, like a combination between a mojito and the famous Hemingway daiquiri. Make it using any type of rum you have on hand: with aged or dark rum for a classy vibe, or white rum for a straightforward take. It works with pineapple rum too: and tastes even better. Let’s get mixing, shall we?
What’s in this pineapple rum cocktail?
The most popular pineapple rum cocktail of them all is of course, the tried and true Piña Colada. But what if we told you this drink is even tastier? Alex created this drink after tinkering with flavors one evening at a cocktail party. It came out so well, everyone kept asking what was in it!
This pineapple rum cocktail is a modern spin (our own!) that’s a play on a mojito and a Hemingway daiquiri. Because of its origins we nicknamed it the “Cuba Connection,” so you can call it that if you like. Here are the ingredients you’ll need:
- Pineapple juice
- Rum (any type): see notes below
- Maraschino liqueur: see notes below
- Fresh mint
- Lime wedges
Use any type of rum: including pineapple rum!
This pineapple rum cocktail is unique because you can use any type of rum you like! Most rum drinks call for a specific type of rum. The daiquiri and mojito use white rum, and a Dark and Stormy or hot buttered rum use dark rum. But we created this cocktail to use whatever rum you have on hand. Here are a few types of rum:
- Golden or aged rum: Golden rum is often aged a few years, giving it a complex flavor. Golden rum can have undertones of vanilla, coconut, almond, citrus, or caramel. This drink is fantastic with golden rum.
- Pineapple rum: Pineapple rum is rum that’s distilled with fresh pineapple. What does pineapple rum go with? It pairs perfectly with pineapple juice, mint, and coconut: or mix it with Maraschino liqueur for a fruity and complex drink. We happened to have some on hand, and it’s perfect in this drink.
- White rum: White rum is completely clear and has a straightforward, mild flavor. Using white rum in this drink makes it less complex: so make sure to add the bitters when you make it.
- Dark rum: Dark rum has a robust flavor and is aged longer than white rum. It has a dark color and a rich, developed flavor with caramel, brown sugar, and vanilla notes. It’s fantastic in this pineapple rum cocktail.
What’s Maraschino liqueur?
This pineapple rum cocktail is so full of sophisticated flavor because it’s got a secret ingredient: Maraschino liqueur! Now, this is not the liquid in a can of maraschino cherries! Here’s why we used it and why it makes the cocktail special:
- Maraschino liqueur is a clear, cherry-flavored liqueur that’s used in many classic cocktails. The flavor is dry with a hint of sweet, with sour cherry and almond notes.
- What drinks is Maraschino liqueur used in? The most famous maraschino cocktail is the Hemingway Daiquiri, named after Ernest Hemingway himself and his penchant for drinking daquiris in Cuba, where the daiquiri originated. This is why we use Maraschino in this cocktail, as a little ode to the Hemingway daiquiri! You’ll be amazed at the complexity in flavor that it adds.
- How much does Maraschino liqueur cost? It costs about $30 for a bottle. There are several brands of maraschino liqueur: a popular one is Luxardo Maraschino liqueur, which should be easy to find at your local liquor store.
- What cocktails use Maraschino liqueur? Go to this list of 5 Best Maraschino Liqueur Cocktails.
How to make this pineapple rum cocktail
This pineapple rum cocktail is like a cross between a mojito and a Hemingway daiquiri. The elements of a mojito? You’ll muddle fresh mint to infuse fresh flavor into the entire drink. Other than that, it’s as easy as shaking it up in a cocktail shaker. Here’s what to do:
- Muddle the mint with sugar and lime wedges in a cocktail shaker. Muddle simply means to gently mash. Mashing the mint leaves releases their oils and adds a mint perfume to the drink. If you don’t have a muddler, you can use a wooden spoon. See more at How to Muddle Mint.
- Add pineapple, rum, and Maraschino and shake. Add a good handful of ice, then shake the drink until cold. Strain it into a glass.
- Shake with bitters (optional). Adding a few shakes of cocktail bitters adds nuance and intrigue to the flavors. This is especially important if you’re using white rum.
That’s it! We hope you love our pineapple rum cocktail, aka the Cuba Connection!
More pineapple cocktails
There are lots of ways to use pineapple juice in drinks! Here are some of our favorite pineapple cocktails:
- Try the classic Rum Punch with pineapple, orange, lime and two types of rum
- Mix up a tangy Pineapple Margarita with a salt rim
- Try this Pineapple Vodka Cocktail or Tequila and Pineapple Juice
- Opt for a Painkiller or Chi Chi, spins on the piña colada
- Go bubbly with a Pineapple Mimosa for brunch
- Sip on the easy breezy Bay Breeze Cocktail
- Whip up a sophisticated French Martini
- Try the modern classic Jungle Bird
When to serve a pineapple rum cocktail
This pineapple rum cocktail is sophisticated and full of flavor! It’s great as a:
- Happy hour drink
- Dinner party drink
- Summer drink
- Signature cocktail
- Bridal shower drink or bachelorette party drink
- Girls night drink
This pineapple rum cocktail is a stunning mixed drink with a tropical flair! Use any type of rum you have (even pineapple rum).
- 6 large leaves mint
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 lime wedges
- 2 ounces golden (aged), dark, white, or pineapple rum*
- 1 ½ ounces pineapple juice
- ¼ ounce Maraschino liqueur
- 2 shakes orange bitters (optional but recommended)
- For the garnish: Mint, lime wedges, and/or pineapple slice
- In a cocktail shaker, muddle the mint with the sugar and lime wedges.
- Add the rum, pineapple juice and Maraschino liqueur to the cocktail shaker. Fill it with ice and shake until cold.
- Strain the drink into a glass. Shake on the bitters if desired. Garnish with mint, a lime wedge and a pineapple slice.
*You can use whatever rum you have on hand! The best flavor is with golden (aged) rum or pineapple rum. If you’re using white rum, we suggest using the bitters to add more complexity to the drink.
- Category: Drink
- Method: Shaken
- Cuisine: Cocktails
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: Pineapple rum cocktail