How to actually eat your veggies? Here are all the best vegetables to get into a healthy diet, and loads of recipes for including each one!
We’ve all heard the refrain: Eat more fruits and vegetables! But what does that really look like? And what are the healthiest vegetables to eat? Well, we’ve got answers. Alex and I are cookbook authors of a vegetarian cookbook and our website has over 1,000 recipes for how to make plants taste delicious. But today, we wanted to delve into this question: What are the best vegetables to include in a healthy diet?
After lots of research, we’ve compiled a list of the 20 best vegetables to include in your everyday. The great news? There are so many ways to make them taste delicious. With each vegetable, we’ve included our top recipes for making it taste good. (And you can click the “Get Recipes” button to get even more recipes.) Ready to get started?
And now…the best vegetables to eat in a healthy diet!
Want more ideas? Cruciferous Vegetables Guide & How to Cook Vegetables
Need more resources on how to eat more veggies? There are so many delicious recipes out there: it’s just a matter of finding them! Here are a few more of our favorite resources for getting lots of veggies into your diet, including meal plans with a weekly planning spreadsheet:
- Plant Based Diet for Beginners A resource for eating lots of plant based (vegan) meals.
- Whole Food Plant Based Diet: Guide & Recipes A comprehensive guide for eating whole food plant based (WFPB) meals on the regular
- 28 Day Plant Based Diet Meal Plan Veggie-heavy recipes organized as a meal plan.
- 28 Day Vegan Meal Plan Includes a downloadable meal planning spreadsheet!
- Guide to Plant Based Protein All you need to know about plant based protein and why it’s important!
- Healthiest Vegetables Here’s a bit more information on nutrients behind these tasty plants!
Last updated: June 2020
About the Authors
Sonja Overhiser is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best healthy cookbooks of 2018. She’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the food blog A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Sonja seeks to inspire adventurous eating to make the world a better place one bite at a time.
Alex Overhiser is an acclaimed food photographer and author based in Indianapolis. He’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the recipe website A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Alex is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best vegetarian cookbooks by Epicurious.