This avocado grilled cheese with tomato is an easy weeknight dinner recipe that takes less than 10 minutes to make. Serve with soup or salad, and enjoy!
Many times life calls for simple. We had some friends over last weekend and needed something we could throw together without too much preparation. And since nearly everyone we know is crazy for grilled cheese, we decided to go for a seasonal twist: tomatoes, ripe from the Indiana sun, and avocado, its not-so-local but always satisfying partner. Although a simple dish, grilled cheese can be gussied up as much or as little as you like. Serve this avocado grilled cheese with tomato alongside a bowl of homemade tomato soup or a green salad, and you’ve got instant dinner. Keep reading for the avocado grilled cheese recipe!
How to slice an avocado
For this avocado grilled cheese recipe, the most challenging part is slicing the avocado! Alex and I have a few tricks for how to cut an avocado: check out our video instruction of me cutting an avocado in our kitchen below.
How to make this avocado grilled cheese sandwich
This avocado grilled cheese is not rocket science, but it certainly tastes like it. A few key things to remember while making your avocado grilled cheese sandwich:
- Salt the tomatoes — Salt the tomatoes and let them drain for a bit before whipping up the sandwich. Then adding just the right amount of kosher salt on top makes for gooey, toasty perfection.
- Liberally butter the bread — If you don’t put enough butter on the bread slices, they won’t turn a beautiful golden brown. You want the bread to get nice and toasty when making grilled cheese!
- Use good quality cheese — The star of any homemade grilled cheese is — you guessed it — the cheese. As such, it’s important that you buy good quality cheese. If your grocery store has a deli counter, buy a few slices of mozzarella there instead of getting the pre-packaged stuff for a better flavor. You can also use shredded mozzarella for a super cheesy grilled cheese.
- Use a heartier bread — We’ve found that heartier, crusty bread makes for an excellent avocado grilled cheese. Remember that whatever bread you use needs to be strong enough to hold the tomato and avocado filling, too!
There you have it! Let us know what you think of this avocado grilled cheese sandwich in the comments below.
Looking for more grilled cheese and sandwich recipes?
We’ve made quite a few grilled cheese recipes over the years. Outside of this avocado grilled cheese sandwich, a few of our favorites are:
- Hard Boiled Egg and Smoked Cheddar Grilled Cheese
- Mint Pesto Grilled Cheese
- Pesto Grilled Cheese Dippers with Marinara
- Roasted Tomato Basil Grilled Cheese
- Spinach Artichoke Grilled Cheese
- Tomato & Grilled Eggplant Stacked Sandwich
- Grilled Buffalo Cauliflower Sandwich
- Ultimate Rainbow Veggie Sandwich
- Radish and Egg Salad Sandwiches
- Greek Pita Sandwiches
This recipe is…
This avocado grilled cheese sandwich is vegetarian.Print
This avocado grilled cheese sandwich with tomato is an easy weeknight dinner recipe that takes less than 10 minutes to make. Serve with soup or salad, and enjoy!
- Slice the tomatoes, place the slices on a plate, and sprinkle with kosher salt. Slice the avocado (see the video instructions).
- Spread butter on one side of each of the 4 bread pieces. Heat a griddle pan to medium high heat. Place 2 pieces of bread on the griddle, buttered side down. On each piece, spread 1 slice cheese, tomato slices, avocado slices, another slice of cheese, a sprinkle of kosher salt, and the other piece of bread.
- When the bottom bread is browned, flip the sandwich and cook until the bread is toasted and the cheese is melted.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Grilled
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: avocado grilled cheese, grilled cheese sandwich, grilled cheese with tomato
About the Authors
Sonja Overhiser is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best healthy cookbooks of 2018. She’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the food blog A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Sonja seeks to inspire adventurous eating to make the world a better place one bite at a time.
Alex Overhiser is an acclaimed food photographer and author based in Indianapolis. He’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the recipe website A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Alex is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best vegetarian cookbooks by Epicurious.