This easy vegetable soup recipe is simple and satisfying! It’s a veggie-loaded homemade spin on canned soup that’s infinitely tastier.
Craving simplicity? Meet this easy and satisfying Vegetable Soup! Sometimes you just need that classic noodle soup: you know, the your mom made you or the one you dumped out of a can after school? This recipe came from a day where Alex took stock of our pantry and whipped up a simple homemade vegetable soup. We’ve been making it ever since! This vegetable soup is loaded with colorful veggies and cozy spiral past, swimming in a bright yellow turmeric broth with tons of flavor. It’s like canned soup, but a homemade version that tastes infinitely better. Here’s how to make it!
How to make vegetable soup
This vegetable soup recipe is the very definition of simple. It’s a homemade version of canned noodle soup, but we’ve packed it full of healthy veggies and restorative spices. Here are the main steps for this easy vegetable soup (or jump right to the recipe below!):
- Prep the veggies: Dice an onion, bell pepper, carrots and celery.
- Sauté: In a large pot or Dutch oven, saute the veggies until tender, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add spices: The blend of spices in this soup is so, so delicious! It brings in the savory vibe of canned soup.
- Simmer: Add the broth and remaining veggies and bring it to a simmer. Once simmering, add the noodles and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. That’s it!
Best veggies for a vegetable soup
The goal with this vegetable soup? Pack it with quick-cooking veggies so it’s easy to make! Many vegetable soup recipes include potatoes or squash, and here’s the thing: hard root veggies take a long time to cook. So for this soup, we picked veggies that will cook up in no time! This recipe is an update to our previous version that loads it with even more veggies. Here’s what we think are the perfect quick-cooking veggies to include for the maximum healthy punch:
- Bell pepper
- Green beans
- White beans like cannellini or Great Northern
Secret spice blend for the broth
It’s easy to make a vegetable soup recipe, but often the broth leaves something to be desired. Vegetable broth on its own is a little bland, so you’ve go to have a great blend of seasonings to amp up the flavors. Here’s what we included in this broth to make it satisfying and slurp-able:
- Garlic powder
- Dried basil
- Dried oregano
- Dried thyme
- Ground turmeric
What’s turmeric? Turmeric is a bright yellow spice that’s part of the ginger family. It is most often used dried and ground, and has an earthy, almost mustard-like flavor. Because turmeric has some potential restorative properties and we love the flavor, we added a good amount of this golden spice to make for a vibrant broth. It looks bright and beautiful, and tastes great! Grab a jar and can use up the rest with these top turmeric recipes, from yellow rice to vegan nacho cheese.
Variations on this vegetable soup recipe!
Because it has a short ingredient list, this homemade vegetable soup is easily customizable! Add any quick cooking vegetables you love, or other spices or seasonings. Here are a few ideas:
- Chickpeas or kidney beans instead of white beans
- Canned tomatoes: add a 15-ounce can diced or fire-roasted
- Spinach, kale, or chard: add a few handfuls (chopped or baby greens) in the last 5 minutes
- Frozen butternut squash: this soup works with frozen since it’s already partially cooked! Add it with the green beans
- Pesto: Basil pesto adds big flavor to the broth! Add 1 to 2 tablespoons with the broth
What other veggies would you add? Let us know in the comments below!
Or, make it even simpler: noodle soup!
Want to make this more like straight noodle soup? This recipe is a spin on an older version of this recipe that was essentially onion, carrots, celery and noodles. Essentially, it was vegetable noodle soup! Want to make the old version?
- Remove the red pepper, white beans, green beans, and peas, and make the recipe as listed below!
Make vegetable soup into a meal
This vegetable soup recipe is packed with healthy veggies and plant-based protein. Because here’s the thing: if you’re going to pend the time on a soup, why not make it filling enough for a meal? This soup works as an easy lunch or healthy dinner recipe! You can always top with grated Parmesan cheese or a dollop of Greek yogurt to make it more filling, or add an easy side dish. Here are a few ideas for making this easy soup into a meal:
- Bread: like no knead or sourdough
- Grilled cheese: like a spinach artichoke grilled cheese
- Salad: try a green salad with lots of protein (beans, grains, legumes, nuts, and seeds), like chopped salad or spinach salad
- Cornbread: try cornbread muffins, vegan cornbread, or homemade cornbread
- Biscuits: opt for homemade biscuits or vegan biscuits
- Popovers: a fun and easy option; try these popovers!
This vegetable soup recipe is…
Vegetarian, vegan, plant-based and dairy-free. For gluten-free, use gluten-free pasta.Print
This garden vegetable soup recipe is simple and satisfying! It’s a veggie-loaded homemade spin on canned soup that’s infinitely tastier.
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 celery ribs
- 3 medium carrots
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon each dried oregano and dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 8 cups (2 quarts) vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons kosher salt, to taste
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups frozen green beans
- 15-ounce can white beans (cannellini, Great Northern or other), drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
- 5 ounces pasta spirals (about 2 cups dry)
- Dice the onion. Dice the bell pepper. Thinly slice the celery. Peel and thinly slice the carrot into rounds. Mince the garlic.
- In a Dutch oven or large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, celery, carrots, and garlic, and sauté for 5 to 7 minutes until the onion is translucent.
- Add the garlic powder, dried basil, oregano, thyme, and turmeric and stir. Continue cooking for about 1 minute.
- Add the vegetable broth, 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, frozen green beans, drained and rinsed white beans, and fresh ground pepper. Bring a simmer.
- Add the frozen peas and pasta and continue simmering until the pasta is cooked, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool for several minutes. Taste and add the additional salt as necessary.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegetable soup, vegetable soup recipe, easy vegetable soup, homemade vegetable soup, How to make vegetable soup
Looking for more soup recipes?
Outside of this homemade vegetable soup recipe, here are a few of our favorite soup recipes:
- Instant Pot Wild Rice Soup
- Tomato Basil Gnocchi Soup
- Tortellini Soup
- Moroccan Spiced Cauliflower Soup
- Easy Tomato Basil Soup
- Creamy Corn Chowder
- Black Bean Tortilla Soup
- Vegetarian Chili
- Creamy Tomato Soup
- Italian Gnocchi Soup
- Split Pea Soup
- 25 Best Vegetarian Soup Recipes
- 25 Best Vegan Soup Recipes
Last updated: February 2021
About the Authors
Sonja Overhiser is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best healthy cookbooks of 2018. She’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the food blog A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Sonja seeks to inspire adventurous eating to make the world a better place one bite at a time.
Alex Overhiser is an acclaimed food photographer and author based in Indianapolis. He’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the recipe website A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Alex is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best vegetarian cookbooks by Epicurious.