This post may include affiliate links; for details, see our disclosure policy.
This vibrant spring soup is everything good about spring! Bright green and fresh, it features green peas, spinach, chives and mint.
March 1 is spring, right? Alex and I are dying for spring weather, so we’re starting with some spring food to usher in the season. And this vibrant spring soup is the perfect way to do it, with its bright color and fresh flavors. The recipe is from the new cookbook, Simply Vibrant by Anya and Masha of the blog Golubka Kitchen. Keep reading for the spring green soup recipe and more about the book!
Vegetables in spring soup
This spring soup is totally stunning, with a bright green color and comforting vibe. It’s full of spring vegetables, that give it beautiful fresh flavor. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Green peas
- New potatoes
- Chives: we were even able to use chives from our garden that are just starting to come up!
- Onion, garlic and celery
The soup has a cozy, hearty and almost meaty flavor from cumin, coriander, and garlic, set off by the fresh herbs. We also added a squeeze of lemon to our bowls to heighten the brightness, and made sure to have a good sprinkling of mint. Everyone in the family enjoyed it, and even our toddler couldn’t stop eating it.
About the book: Simply Vibrant
Anya and Masha are a mother and daughter living 1000 miles apart and exchanging recipes to keep in touch. Anya is author and Masha is photographer (how fun is that?). There are 129 recipes in Simply Vibrant, all of which are vegetarian, 124 of them are vegan, and 109 of them are gluten-free or gluten-free adaptable. The book is full of vibrant photographs of bright-colored plant-based fare, and the recipes are creative and beautiful.
Anya’s goal was to create healthful, everyday recipes that require accessible, whole food ingredients – mainly vegetables, fruit, herbs, spices, grains, and legumes. Her hope was that you’d be able to find in the index whatever good-looking produce you picked up at the market or store, and get some ideas on how to prepare it.
Many congratulations to Anya and Masha on a gorgeous book! The vibrant colors of the recipes and photographs are a testament to your commitment to making wellness a truly exciting and magical way to live.
More spring vegetable recipes
Outside of this spring soup, here are a few of our favorite spring vegetable recipes:
- Spring Vegetarian Spaghetti Carbonara
- Orecchiette with Roasted Asparagus and Feta
- Ricotta Scrambled Egg and Asparagus Tacos
- Radish and Egg Salad Sandwiches
This spring soup recipe is…
Vegetarian, vegan, plant-based, gluten-free, and dairy-free.Print
This vibrant spring green soup is everything good about spring! Bright green and fresh, it features green peas, spinach, chives and mint.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- Kosher salt
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 ribs celery, thinly sliced
- 10 small new potatoes, cut into small cubes
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 pound fresh or frozen English peas
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 2 to 3 green onions or chives, thinly sliced, for garnish
- Handful mint leaves, chopped (optional)
- Heat the oil in a medium soup pot over medium heat. Add the cumin, coriander, onion, and a few pinches of salt; saute for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, celery, potatoes, a pinch of salt, and black pepper to taste, and cook, stirring, for another 5 minutes until fragrant. Add the lemon juice and let it absorb for 1 minute then pour in the vegetable broth or water.
- Bring the liquid to a boil, lower the heat to a simmer, and cook, covered, until the potatoes are tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Add the peas and greens to the soup and stir until the greens wilt.
- Transfer 1 ½ cups of the soup to a blender and blend until creamy. Return the blended soup to the pot and stir to combine. Taste and adjust the seasonings as necessary. Serve the soup garnished with chives, fresh mint, and a squeeze of lemon.
Reprinted with permission from Simply Vibrant: All-Day Vegetarian Recipes for Colorful Plant-Based Cooking by Anya Kassoff.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Green Soup, Spring Soup, Green Soup Recipe, Spring Recipe