Here are all the very best easy avocado recipes to highlight everyone’s favorite vegetable (er, fruit!), from toast to salads to pizza.
Who doesn’t love the avocado? This healthy vegetable (well, really fruit!) is having a heyday: avocado toast has become almost as ubiquitous as french fries. And for good reason: there are millions of delicious ways to eat it! Not to mention, it’s full of healthy fats and nutrients.
Here’s a list of our favorite easy avocado recipes for our favorite ways to use them! There’s the ever-popular avocado toast, here topped with a vibrant turmeric poached egg. Throw them onto our California-style pizza, or better yet, stuff them into quesadillas and grilled cheese. And there’s always our very, very tasty guacamole recipe. Why don’t we just get started?
And now…our top easy avocado recipes!
How to cut an avocado…safely!
Before you work with avocados, there’s one thing you must know: how to cut it safely! Alex and I have the best method for cutting and avocado and removing the pit that will keep you safe of any knife blades. Here’s the best way to cut an avocado (see the video below!):
- Using a large chef’s knife, cut lengthwise around the avocado. Twist the two halves to separate them.
- Place a towel in your hand and put the avocado on top. With a gentle but quick motion, tap the knife into the avocado pit.
- Don’t remove the avocado pit with your hand! Instead, pull the cutting board close to your body, then place the pit against the far edge of the cutting board and pull back to release it from the knife. (Watch the video for this part!)
- Use a large spoon to scoop out the avocado from the peel. Place the avocado with the cut side down, then cut it into slices. To dice the avocado, turn the slices and cut crosswise to make diced avocado.
Looking for a 15 minute meal? This easy avocado toast with poached egg recipe is vibrant and can be whipped up in no time!
- ¼ cup distilled white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 2 large eggs
- 2 thick slices sourdough bread
- 1 avocado
- 1 to 2 radishes
- Black sesame seeds
- Chunky sea salt
- In a large saucepan, pour a few inches of water and bring it to a boil. Reduce to a gentle simmer and stir in the vinegar and turmeric.
- Crack an egg into a small bowl, then gently slide the egg into water. Wait about 30 seconds, then add the next egg. Allow to simmer for about 3 minutes, until the whites are set but the yolks are runny.
- Line a plate with a paper towel. Remove the eggs from the pan using a slotted spoon, then allow them to drain while preparing the toast. (Throughout the process, take care with the turmeric water, as it can stain clothing.)
- Remove the avocado pit, scoop it out of the peel, and mash it with some salt using a fork. Spread it on the bread slices, then top with radishes, sesame seeds, and sea salt.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Avocado Recipes, Avocado Toast
More recipes with avocado
Not enough inspiration? Here are a few more healthy avocado recipes that we love:
- Healthy Sushi Bowl
- Salmon Poke Bowl
- Vegetarian Burrito Bowl
- Tater Tot Nachos — Totchos!
- Tropical Mango Quinoa Bowl
- Avocado Sweet Potato Tacos
- Rainbow Vegetable Sandwich
About the Authors
Sonja Overhiser is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best healthy cookbooks of 2018. She’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the food blog A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Sonja seeks to inspire adventurous eating to make the world a better place one bite at a time.
Alex Overhiser is an acclaimed food photographer and author based in Indianapolis. He’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the recipe website A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Alex is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best vegetarian cookbooks by Epicurious.