Here’s the trick to a fast and easy way to make avocado corn salad! It’s perfect for parties and full of zingy flavor.
Some salads sound simple, but then you find yourself standing at the cutting board for ages. (Wait, where did the last 30 minutes go?) Here’s a salad that won’t take you half an afternoon to prep: this fast and easy Avocado Corn Salad! This one uses our favorite quick trick to a killer salad we use in our black bean and corn salad. It’s got a quick way to shortcut a bunch of chopping and the flavor? Incredible.
Another great option? Try our Avocado Tomato Salad with lemon vinaigrette!
Ingredients in avocado corn salad
This avocado corn salad can be quick and simple, or you can make it a little fancier using cooked corn on the cob. It’s the perfect summer salad for a barbecue or cookout, but it works for any season. Here are the essentials you’ll need for this recipe:
- Canned corn or cooked corn on the cob (see below)
- Fresh pico de gallo, aka fresh salsa
- Red onion, cilantro: optional!
Throw them all together, and you’ve got one salad with massive flavor and minimal chopping required. In fact, all you really need to chop is the avocados!
The key: pico de gallo (aka fresh salsa)
The key to this concept? Purchased fresh pico de gallo in modern grocery stores. (This is true in American stores, at least!) You may also see it labeled as “fresh salsa” or “salsa fresca.” Why use it for an avocado corn salad?
- Pico de gallo is a type of salsa made with fresh tomatoes, onion, garlic, cilantro, and lime juice.
- It cuts down on chopping. You can find it in the fresh food section, already chopped up and ready to mix into your salad!
- The lime juice makes a natural salad dressing. Make sure to pour on a little of the juices into the mix. Then add a drizzle of olive oil, and you’ve got dressing!
Alternative: homemade pico
Purchased pico de gallo is pretty easy to access in American grocery stores in the produce aisle. Don’t have access to it? You can make your own pico! The salad will take a little longer to make, of course. But it’s worth it for the flavor. Go to our Best Pico de Gallo recipe and make ½ the recipe.
Main types of corn for avocado corn salad
This salad easily transforms from basic to fancy by using corn on the cob! It’s delicious with canned corn, but if it’s corn season: make a stunning salad using grilled or boiled corn. It’s also a fantastic use for leftover corn on the cob! Here are all our favorite ways to cook corn on the cob:
- Canned: Fastest and easiest, and still has great flavor
- Grilled: make it three ways: Perfect Grilled Corn (on the grates), Grilled in the Husk, or Grilled in Foil
- Boiled: go basic and make Boiled Corn on the Cob
- Roasted: an easy way to cook it? Oven Roasted Corn on the Cob
For the cob methods, hit up this way to How to Cut Corn Off the Cob. It’s easy and eliminates the mess! Can you use frozen corn for this salad? You can, but we find the flavor of canned is better in this case and you don’t even need to defrost it.
How to cut an avocado: the safe way
Last up for this avocado corn salad: do you know the best way to cut an avocado? This vegetable (well, fruit!) is notorious for inducing knife injuries. Here’s how to cut it…the safe way:
- Remove the pit: Using a large chef’s knife, cut lengthwise around the avocado. Twist the two halves to separate them. Place a towel in your hand and put the avocado on top. With a gentle but quick motion, tap the knife into the avocado pit, then twist it to remove it.
- Safely pull the pit from the knife: Do not remove the avocado pit with your hand! Instead, pull the cutting board close to your body, then place the pit against the far edge of the cutting board and pull back to release it from the knife. (See the video at the link.)
- Remove from the peel and slice: Use a large spoon to scoop out the avocado from the peel. Place the avocado with the cut side down, then cut it into slices.
And that’s it! We hope you love this avocado corn salad: let us know in the comments below!
More avocado recipes
Love avocados? Here are a few more great avocado recipes to make with this tasty fruit:
- Go for our zesty and simple Avocado Tomato Salad
- Try a quick and easy Avocado Club Sandwich
- Sip a Avocado Banana Smoothie, or dip into Amazing Avocado Dip
- Make up Baked Avocado Fries or throw them into Crispy Avocado Tacos
- Stir up a batch of Avocado Tuna Salad
This avocado corn salad is…
Vegetarian, vegan, plant-based, dairy-free, and gluten-free.Print
Easy Avocado Corn Salad
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 4 to 6 1x
Here’s a fast and easy way to make avocado corn salad! It’s perfect for parties and full of zingy flavor.
- 2 ripe avocados
- 15-ounce can corn, drained or 1 ½ cups boiled or grilled corn kernels
- ¼ cup red onion slices (optional)
- 1 cup purchased pico de gallo, aka salsa fresca (including juices)*
- Fresh cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 drizzle olive oil
- If making with cooked corn, cut the corn kernels from the cob. Otherwise, drain the canned corn.
- Dice the avocado. If using, slice the red onion.
- Gently mix the chopped avocado, corn, red onion and cilantro (if using) with the pico de gallo, making sure to add it with its juices. Add a drizzle of olive oil if you like. The salad is best the day it is made. Leftovers are good for 1 day.
*You’ll find this packaged in the refrigerated section at your local grocery: it may be labeled pico de gallo or fresh salsa. If you can’t find it, make homemade Pico de Gallo. If you’d like
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Raw
- Cuisine: Salad
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: Avocado corn salad