This veggie pizza is the ultimate vegetarian pizza recipe, starring colorful bell peppers, fresh basil, creamy goat cheese, and everyone’s favorite: avocado.
After 4 trips to Italy and over 10 years of research, Alex and I can finally say we’re homemade pizza experts. We’ve mastered the perfectly chewy and crispy crust, the tangy tomato sauce, and even how to get those beautiful char marks (our new pizza oven). While classic Margherita pizza is our specialty, we’ve spent years honing our favorite topping combinations. And this one is one of our favorites: the perfect veggie pizza! It’s full of colorful (and dare I say, healthy) topping ingredients: peppers, tomatoes, red onion, and dollops of soft goat cheese. Top it all off with everyone’s favorite: the avocado! Keep reading for this veggie pizza recipe.
How to make veggie pizza
This veggie pizza is a take on the “So Cal” pizza served here in Indianapolis at Jockomo’s. When a dear friend suggested that we create a recipe inspired by the So Cal veggie pizza, we jumped at the chance. It turned out incredibly colorful and totally delicious, due to the genius combination of flavors and textures. Here are the features of this veggie pizza:
- A thin layer of our easy homemade pizza sauce makes a savory base
- Two cheeses make for big flavor: shredded mozzarella cheese and tangy goat cheese
- Raw bell peppers and red onion make beautiful colors and a crunchy texture
- Fresh basil adds a peppery herb flavor
- Top it off, dollops of rich and creamy avocado seal the deal
This veggie pizza tastes fresh and incredibly delightful. In all our years of making artisan pizza, this one is our favorite combination. It’s a delicious way to eat an avocado…as if you needed another one! And speaking of, we’ve started an informal tradition of pizza night on Thursdays instead of Fridays; it’s been a nice way to celebrate almost making it to the end of the week. How about you – do you have any pizza traditions? We’d love to hear in the comments.
How to make veggie pizza dough
For this veggie pizza dough, we have several pizza dough recipes that you can make depending on your tastes and equipment. Our Best Pizza Dough is our preferred method; we make it using stand mixer, but you can also knead it by hand. Our Easy Thin Crust method is similar but makes a thinner dough that you roll out. Or, you can try our quick pizza dough made in a food processor. Below is a video of Alex showing how to make and stretch the pizza dough. Fast forward to 1:45 minutes to watch the stretching process!
Looking for artisan pizza recipes?
This veggie pizza is one of our favorite artisan pizzas to make at home. Here are a few of our other favorite homemade veggie pizza recipes:
- Perfect Neapolitan Pizza
- Spicy Vegetarian Diavola Pizza
- Best Ever Taco Pizza
- Breakfast Pizza
- Veggie Supreme Pizza
- Artichoke & Cherry Tomato Pizza
- Loaded Mexican Pizza
- Our Best Vegan Pizza
- Egg Pizza with Scallions
- Italian Pizza with Pesto
- Best Anchovy Pizza
- Easy Calzone Recipe
- Homemade Easy Pizza Sauce
- KitchenAid Pizza Dough Recipe
- How to Clean a Pizza Stone
- Homemade Margherita Pizza Recipe
Related: Want a quick pizza dough without yeast? Rye Pizza Dough Cracker Crust
This recipe is…
This veggie pizza with avocado recipe is vegetarian, refined sugar free, and naturally sweet.Print
This veggie pizza is the ultimate vegetarian pizza, starring colorful bell peppers, fresh basil, creamy goat cheese, and everyone’s favorite: avocado.
- 1 ball Best Pizza Dough (or Food Processor Dough or Thin Crust Dough)
- 1/4 red bell pepper
- 1/4 yellow bell pepper
- 1/4 small red onion
- 8 to 10 leaves fresh basil
- 1/3 cup Homemade Easy Pizza Sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 ounces soft goat cheese
- 1/2 avocado
- Kosher salt
- Semolina flour or cornmeal, for dusting the pizza peel
- Make the pizza dough: Follow the Best Pizza Dough recipe to prepare the dough. (This takes about 15 minutes to make and 45 minutes to rest.)
- Place a pizza stone in the oven and preheat to 500°F. OR preheat your pizza oven (here’s the pizza oven we use).
- Make the pizza sauce: Make the Homemade Pizza Sauce.
- Prepare the toppings: Thinly slice the peppers. Thinly slice the onion. Thinly slice (chiffonade) the basil leaves. Remove the avocado pit.
- Place the dough on the pizza peel: When the oven is ready, dust a pizza peel with cornmeal or semolina flour. (If you don’t have a pizza peel, you can use a rimless baking sheet or the back of a rimmed baking sheet. But a pizza peel is well worth the investment!) Stretch the dough into a circle; see this video for instructions. Then gently place the dough onto the pizza peel.
- Quickly assemble the pizza: Spread a thin layer of the pizza sauce onto the dough. Top with the mozzarella cheese. Then add sliced peppers, onions, and dollops of goat cheese. Using a spoon, scoop out small dollops of the flesh onto the pizza. Sprinkle the top with kosher salt.
- Bake the pizza: Transfer the pizza to the pizza stone in the oven using the pizza peel, and bake until the cheese is melted, about 7 minutes (or 1 minute in a pizza oven). Allow to cool slightly, then garnish with basil and serve.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Pizza, Vegetarian Pizza, Veggie Pizza, Italian Pizza, Pizza Oven, Vegetarian, Entertaining, Artisan Pizza
About the Authors
Cookbook Author and writer
Sonja Overhiser is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best healthy cookbooks of 2018. She’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the food blog A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Sonja seeks to inspire adventurous eating to make the world a better place one bite at a time.
Cookbook Author and photographer
Alex Overhiser is an acclaimed food photographer and author based in Indianapolis. He’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the recipe website A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Alex is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best vegetarian cookbooks by Epicurious.