Looking for a 15 minute meal? This gorgeous avocado toast with turmeric egg can be whipped up in no time for a healthy breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Can a recipe be too simple? We don’t think so. When Alex and I wrote our cookbook Pretty Simple Cooking, we started each chapter with a few ideas that are the simplest of the simple. Because, sometimes you just need a creative idea to mix up your everyday meals–and it doesn’t have to be rocket science! To us, simple cooking is not easy: it’s not dumbed down food. It’s beautiful, fresh, delicious, and colorful. And sometimes these ideas can be quick, which is the case with this avocado toast with turmeric egg. This recipe is part of our new Seriously Simple Series: recipes that are creative ideas for what to eat in less than 15 minutes and prove that you can do a lot with a little.
How to make turmeric eggs
This avocado toast with turmeric eggs proves is a 15 minute meal that works for any time of day: a hearty breakfast, lunch, snack, or even a light vegetarian dinner. At the center is the star: turmeric eggs. What’s a turmeric poached egg? It’s an egg poached with turmeric stirred into the water, and what comes out is a beautiful bright yellow orb that looks infintely more exciting than a normal poached egg. Making a turmeric eggs only takes a couple minutes, but it’s a lovely addition to anything: avocado toast, a grain bowl, or a big salad.
Making avocado toast with turmeric eggs
To go with our turmeric poached egg, Alex and I created this avocado toast. You start with a slice of crusty sourdough bread (ours was homemade by Alex!) and top it with mashed avocado. Add the turmeric poached egg on top, then garnish with sliced radishes, black sesame seeds, and sea salt. You could use any toppings you’d like, so feel free to get creative! Or, step it up and use grilled avocado for a smoky avocado toast (yum).
If you’re serving this avocado toast with turmeric egg as a vegetarian dinner, we’d leave an option for two pieces per person and make sure to include a few other sides: a simple green salad, hummus with veggies, and so forth. We typically eat this avocado toast with turmeric egg using a knife and fork. When we last ate it, we cut up pieces for our 1 year old son Larson, who loved it too!
Related: Easy Breakfast Ideas
Looking for more fast and easy dinner recipes?
Out side of this avocado toast with turmeric egg, here a few more fast and easy dinner recipes on A Couple Cooks:
- Loaded Quinoa Tacos
- Quick Garlic Shrimp & Couscous
- Mushroom Pasta with Goat Cheese
- Best Stir Fry Vegetables with Teriyaki
- Penne with Pumpkin Pasta Sauce
- Turmeric Poached Egg Avocado Toast
- Everything Bagel Pasta
- Simple Black Beans and Eggs
- Tex Mex Migas Recipe
- Avocado Black Bean Vegetarian Quesadilla
- All Easy Dinner Ideas!
This recipe is…
This avocado toast with turmeric egg is vegetarian.Print
Looking for a 15 minute meal? This turmeric poached egg avocado toast is beautiful and can be whipped up in no time. A handful of ingredients transform into a delicious vegetarian recipe!
- ¼ cup distilled white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 2 large eggs
- 2 thick slices sourdough bread
- 1 avocado
- 1 to 2 radishes
- Black sesame seeds
- Chunky sea salt
- In a large saucepan, pour a few inches of water and bring it to a boil. Reduce to a gentle simmer and stir in the vinegar and turmeric.
- Crack an egg into a small bowl, then gently slide the egg into water. Wait about 30 seconds, then add the next egg. Allow to simmer for about 3 minutes, until the whites are set but the yolks are runny.
- Line a plate with a paper towel. Remove the eggs from the pan using a slotted spoon, then allow them to drain while preparing the toast. (Throughout the process, take care with the turmeric water, as it can stain clothing.)
- Remove the avocado pit, scoop it out of the peel, and mash it with some salt using a fork. Spread it on the bread slices, then top with radishes, sesame seeds, and sea salt.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Avocado toast with egg, Turmeric eggs, How to make a turmeric egg, Turmeric poached eggs, Avocado toast
About the Authors
Cookbook Author and writer
Sonja Overhiser is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best healthy cookbooks of 2018. She’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the food blog A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Sonja seeks to inspire adventurous eating to make the world a better place one bite at a time.
Cookbook Author and photographer
Alex Overhiser is an acclaimed food photographer and author based in Indianapolis. He’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the recipe website A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Alex is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best vegetarian cookbooks by Epicurious.