Who said pickles had to involve a lot of effort? These pickled red onions take about 5 minutes to prepare, and only require 1 hour of waiting time. The result is an incredibly delicious condiment that’s perfect for topping tacos, sandwiches, and salads.
We made these as part of our lentil and grilled vegetable tacos, but the sky is the limit when it comes to uses for these babies! We plan to try to remember to have a jar in the fridge throughout the summer – but they go fast! We’ll probably have to start doubling this recipe.
- 1 red onion
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar or honey
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 cup water
- Thinly slice 1 red onion.
- Whisk together ½ cup apple cider vinegar, 1 tablespoon sugar or honey, 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt, and 1 cup water.
- Place the onion slices in a jar and pour over mixture. Sit at room temperature for 1 hour.