This salmon rice bowl recipe stars marinated salmon, fresh veggies, spicy mayo and crunchy bits of fried onion! It’s irresistible.
Here’s a dinner idea we could eat on repeat every night of the week: Salmon Rice Crunch Bowls! This tasty bowl of salmon and rice has a few flavor secrets that make it over-the-top craveable. The chunks of tender fish are covered in an irresistible savory, garlicky and a little sweet salmon marinade. Combine that with fluffy rice and fresh veggies, then cover it with a spicy mayo to really make it pop. Sprinkle it with crunchy fried onions to seal the deal! We can’t get enough of this one.
Ingredients in this salmon rice bowl recipe
This salmon rice bowl is so much fun, we might eat it every day of the week if we could. The crunch part of the bowl is a riff on our pal Pinch of Yum’s recipe for Crunchy Roll Bowls. It mimics the textures and flavors in a sushi crunch roll, using purchased crispy fried onions to mimic the crunchy tempura flakes (genius, Lindsay!). Here’s what you’ll need for this salmon rice bowl:
- 1 recipe Marinated Salmon
- Long grain white rice
- English cucumber
- Sriracha hot sauce
- Crunchy fried onions
- Chunky sea salt or soy sauce
About those crispy fried onions
So, those crispy fried onions: other than the marinated salmon, they’re the key to this salmon rice bowl! After trying it, let’s just say we sprinkle crispy fried onions on all our bowl meals and salads. Here are a few tips:
- Grab a can of purchased crispy fried onions. That’s right, the kind that go on green bean casserole.
- Sprinkle over the whole bowl on as a garnish. They mimic the texture of a sushi crunch roll, and also bring a little savory onion flavor to the party.
- Use them for sprinkling on any bowl meal or salad. They’re especially fun on on a Caesar salad or kale Caesar.
Keys to the marinated salmon
This salmon rice bowl is good with any type of salmon: so you can use your favorite salmon recipe. But what really makes it shine is this marinated salmon! It adds an extra punch of flavor with soy sauce, rice vinegar, brown sugar and garlic. Here are a few things to know:
- Place the salmon in shallow dish, then pour in the marinade mixture. The recipe below makes about ¾ cup marinade which works for 1 pound of salmon.
- Marinate at room temperature for at least 30 minutes. You can allow the salmon to marinate for up to 3 hours refrigerated; if so, allow it to stand at room temperature 30 minutes before cooking.
- Tap off excess marinade and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Removing excess marinade is important if you’re pan searing so the pan won’t spit (it’s not as necessary for grilling, since excess marinade can fall between the grates).
- Cook using your favorite cooking method. Make pan seared salmon, broiled salmon, or grilled salmon following these linked methods.
Variations on this salmon rice bowl
Want to make an even quicker salmon rice bowl? Use different flavors? Here are a few ideas:
- Speed it up with smoked salmon or canned salmon. This makes a super quick weeknight meal. If using canned salmon, drain it and mix it with a little olive oil, salt and pepper before serving.
- Use different vegetables. Use whatever you have on hand! Try broccoli, edamame, shredded red cabbage, or sliced bell peppers.
- Add a different flavor profile. Swap out the spicy mayo for cilantro lime dressing and use quick black bean and corn salad for the vegetables for a totally different feel.
How would you customize this salmon rice crunch bowl? Let us know in the comments below!
More salmon recipes
Love cooking with this versatile fish? Try these tasty salmon recipes:
- Go for tasty Spinach Artichoke Stuffed Salmon
- Try fast and easy Salmon Croquettes with canned salmon
- Make this Marinated Salmon for an easy dinner
- Opt for Honey Garlic Salmon
This salmon rice bowl recipe is…
Gluten-free, dairy-free and pescatarian.Print
Salmon Rice Crunch Bowl
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
This salmon rice bowl recipe stars marinated salmon, fresh veggies, and the best part: crunchy bits of fried onion! It’s irresistible.
- 1 recipe Marinated Salmon (or your favorite salmon recipe*)
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 2 ripe avocados, diced
- 1/2 English cucumber, diced
- 2 large carrots, julienne peeled or shredded
- 4 radishes, sliced
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 ½ tablespoons Sriracha
- Crunchy fried onions, to garnish (required!)
- Chunky sea salt, to garnish (or soy sauce)
- Rinse the rice. Bring 2 cups of water to boil in a medium saucepan. Add the rice and ¼ teaspoon kosher salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and cover. Simmer 15 minutes or until the water is fully absorbed (check by pulling back with a fork). Remove the heat, cover and allow to steam for 5 minutes. Then fluff with a fork and serve.
- Make the Marinated Salmon (pan seared, broiled or grilled). When it’s finished, flake the salmon into large chunks with a fork.
- Chop the avocados. Dice the cucumber. Julienne or shred the carrots. Slice the radishes.
- Make the spicy mayo: mix together the mayonnaise and the Sriracha.
- To serve, place the rice in a bowl and top with the salmon and veggies. Sprinkle salt on the veggies or a tiny bit of soy sauce around the whole bowl. Top with the spicy mayo and a generous sprinkle of crunchy fried onions.
*To make an even quicker salmon bowl, use smoked salmon or canned salmon (drained and seasoned with a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper).
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Diet: Gluten Free
Keywords: Salmon rice bowl, salmon rice bowl recipe, salmon rice bowls