This coconut lentil curry has it all: it’s a fast and easy dinner idea that’s healthy and full of flavor. Perfect for weeknights!
Alex and I have been working on our repertoire of fast and easy dinner ideas for years. It’s a constant challenge, trying to figure out those standbys that are quick, healthy, and delicious at the same time! This coconut lentil curry comes from an idea I had one night trying to determine what to do with some kale from the garden. I ad-libbed with some lentils and a can of coconut milk we had on-hand, threw in some curry paste, and voila! It turned out so tasty that we decided to share it here. Keep reading for this coconut lentil curry recipe.
How to make coconut lentil curry
This coconut lentil curry is a quick way to get to something on the table that tastes like it’s been cooking all evening! This is not an authentic Indian or Thai curry, just a coconut lentil curry inspired dish that’s a fast dinner idea. It has a fairly short ingredient list, so it’s feasible to make on a weeknight. The base of the curry is simple: just lentils, coconut milk, Thai curry paste, and tomato paste. It’s also a great way to eat your dark leafy greens! You can throw in handfuls of any of your favorite greens. The easiest is throwing in handfuls of baby spinach that’s prewashed and boxed: or you can also add chopped kale or Swiss chard. When we talk to people about delicious ways to eat leafy greens, a curry is one of our top recs because the greens pick up all flavor of the lentil curry!
A secret ingredient: Thai curry paste
The secret to this coconut lentil curry is using Thai red curry paste. Thai curry paste has beautifully fresh flavors: garlic, lemongrass, and ginger. Grab a jar from the store in the international aisle, and it keeps for months in the refrigerator. Some Thai curry pastes are spicy and some don’t have too much heat. Our favorite brand of Thai curry paste is Thai Kitchen, and it doesn’t add much heat to the overall dish. If you can’t find it at your local grocery, here’s a link to Thai Kitchen red curry paste on Amazon.
Have you tried our coconut lentil curry? What are your favorite weeknight dinner recipes? Let us know in the comments below.
Looking for more plant based dinner ideas?
Outside of this coconut lentil curry recipe, here are some other favorite healthy dinner ideas (all vegan / plant based recipes!):
- Best Stir Fry Vegetables with Teriyaki
- Perfect Vegan Black Bean Burger
- Cauliflower and Tomato Coconut Curry
- Sweet Potatoes with Thai Peanut Butter Sauce
- “Can’t Believe It’s Vegan” Spaghetti & Meatballs
- Thai Salad with Peanut Sauce
- Stress Reducing Avocado and Quinoa Bowl
- Moroccan Cauliflower Soup
- Broccoli and Turmeric Yellow Rice Bowls
- Our Best Vegan Pizza
- Related: 10 Romantic Dinner Recipes
Looking for more fast and easy dinner recipes?
And, here a few more of our favorite fast and easy dinner recipes:
- Loaded Quinoa Tacos
- 5 Minute Romesco Gnocchi Sauce
- Mushroom Pasta with Goat Cheese
- Seared Salmon Poke Bowl
- Vegan Italian Pasta Salad
- Penne with Pumpkin Pasta Sauce
- Chickpea Couscous Bowls with Tahini Sauce
- Tropical Mango Bowls with Citrus Drizzle
- Vegan Banh Mi Sandwich
- Tex Mex Migas Recipe
- Avocado Black Bean Vegetarian Quesadilla
- Thai Curry Pizza with Naan Bread
- All Easy Dinner Ideas!
This recipe is…
This coconut lentil curry recipe is vegetarian, gluten-free, vegan, plant-based, and dairy-free.Print
This Coconut Lentil Curry is a 30 minute easy dinner idea that’s healthy and full of flavor; it’s a plant based recipe flavored with Thai curry paste.
- 2 cups uncooked white or brown basmati rice, to serve
- 2 cups brown or green lentils
- 8 cups chopped leafy greens: spinach, kale, or chard
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 15-ounce can coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Cook the rice according to the package instructions or use our Instant Pot method.
- Place the lentils in a saucepan with 6 cups warm water. Bring to a low boil, then boil for about 20 minutes until tender (taste to assess doneness). Drain, then add a few pinches of salt.
- Meanwhile, wash the greens, remove the stems and chop the leaves. (If using prewashed baby spinach, you can skip this step.) In your largest skillet, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the greens and sauté for several minutes until tender and bright green.
- When the lentils are done, add them to the skillet with the greens. Over medium high heat, stir in the coconut milk, Thai red curry paste, tomato paste, kosher salt, and fresh ground black pepper. Cook for a few minutes until heated through and the sauce is thickened.
- Taste and add a few pinches of salt if desired. Serve with rice.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Thai Inspired
Keywords: Coconut Lentil Curry, Lentil Curry, Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten Free, Healthy Dinner Ideas, Healthy Dinner Recipe,
About the Authors
Cookbook Author and writer
Sonja Overhiser is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best healthy cookbooks of 2018. She’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the food blog A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Sonja seeks to inspire adventurous eating to make the world a better place one bite at a time.
Cookbook Author and photographer
Alex Overhiser is an acclaimed food photographer and author based in Indianapolis. He’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the recipe website A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Alex is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best vegetarian cookbooks by Epicurious.