Steamed broccoli is the definition of an easy side dish recipe! It turns out bright green and crisp tender every time: serve with feta for extra wow.
- 1 1/2 pounds (2 large heads) broccoli
- 1/4 cup red onions, thinly sliced (or substitute green onion)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup feta cheese (optional)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Chop the broccoli into florets.
- If using, thinly slice the onion. Place it in a bowl of water while you’re making the rest of the recipe, then drain. (This helps to reduce onion breath and remove some of the spicy bite. If you use green onion, skip this step!)
- Place 1 1/2 cups water into a saucepan or pot and bring it to a boil.
- Once boiling, add the broccoli in the steamer basket. Steam with the lid on 3 to 4 minutes until just tender (test with a fork). We like our broccoli on the crisp side: if you’d like it more tender, cook 1 minute more. Just be careful not to cook much longer or the color will immediately fade and it will be overcooked!
- Carefully remove the broccoli to a bowl. Toss with the olive oil, kosher salt, feta cheese (optional), and drained red onions. Top with freshly ground black pepper.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Steamed
- Cuisine: Vegetables
Keywords: Side Dish Recipes, Best Side Dishes