This post may include affiliate links; for details, see our disclosure policy.
The best way to eat this healthy squash? As fries! These delicata squash fries will become a fast favorite, especially with easy buffalo sauce for dipping.
Delicata squash is finally on its way to becoming a household name! It’s Alex and my favorite for fall and winter. It cooks quickly with no need to peel, and has a sweet, buttery taste like a sweet potato. We love cutting it into delicata squash fries and serving it as a side dish with a homemade creamy sauce! Every time I see it, I can’t help buying this humble squash for friends just so they can have a taste. Because really, we believe it might be one of the keys to getting people hooked on whole foods. Keep reading for our delicata squash fries recipe!
How to make delicata squash fries
We dream of the day when the menus of everyday restaurants have things like delicata squash fries! And when foods like kale and quinoa are eaten by people other than foodies or hippies (we’re getting there!). When kids love Brussels sprouts and squash and mushrooms and spinach because they taste good. When our country craves whole foods because they’re delicious, rich in nutrients, and make you feel like a million bucks. And that’s what these roasted delicata squash fries can do.
How to make delicata squash fries? Simply roast thin slices of delicata squash. If you don’t know anything about cooking delicata squash, it’s truly easy. Here are the basic steps:
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise, and then scoop out the seeds with a spoon.
- Cut it into slices, which will make half-moon shapes.
- Throw those half moons together with some olive oil and kosher salt.
- Roast on a baking sheet for 20 to 25 minutes.
That’s it! Instant fries that are so, so tasty and nutritious too. This preparation is so simple and delicious that we hope it might be a gateway for those skeptics who aren’t quite sure about the whole “eating vegetables” thing.
Serve them with sauce!
If you’re into it, our quick Buffalo sauce that takes these roasted delicata squash fries to the next level! It’s a little spicy, but seriously good. Here are the main ingredients in Buffalo sauce:
- Frank’s hot sauce
- Melted butter
- Minced garlic
That’s it! It combines into a spicy, savory sauce for these fries. If you don’t like heat or you’re serving for kids, feel free to use a different sauce! Ketchup, Honey Mustard Sauce, Lemon Tahini Sauce, or Yogurt Dill Sauce would all be perfect.
More delicata squash recipes
Outside of these delicata squash fries, here are a few of our favorite recipes with delicata squash:
- Go for classic Roasted Delicata Squash
- Make a fresh Delicata Squash Salad
- Try Chipotle Black Bean Stuffed Delicata Squash or Wild Rice Stuffed Delicata Squash
This delicata squash fries recipe is…
Vegetarian and gluten free. For vegan, plant based and dairy free use Lemon Tahini Sauce.Print
The best way to eat this healthy squash? As fries! These delicata squash fries will become a fast favorite, especially with easy sauce for dipping.
For the delicata squash fries
- 2 pounds delicata squash (2 medium to large)*
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
For the sauce
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons Mexican hot sauce (we like Cholula)
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce or tamari
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon dried dill
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Wash the squash. Cut it in half lengthwise, then use a spoon to scoop out the seeds. Cut each half into 1/2-inch half-moon shaped slices.
- Place the slices in a bowl. Mix with the olive oil, kosher salt, and plenty of fresh ground black pepper.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the squash on the sheet in a single layer.
- Roast for 20 to 25 minutes until tender and slightly browned. Eat immediately. (Store leftovers refrigerated and reheat in a 400°F oven.)
- While the squash roasts, mix together the sauce ingredients. (Or substitute Lemon Tahini Sauce for a vegan or non-spicy option.)
- Serve squash warm from the oven with the sauce.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Roasted delicata squash, Cooking delicata squash, Roasted Delicata Squash Fries, Buffalo Sauce, Healthy Side Dish, Healthy Appetizer, Healthy Fries,
Looking for more squash recipes?
This roasted delicata squash fries recipe is a fan favorite for cooking delicata squash! Here are a few more of our favorite squash recipes on A Couple Cooks using different types of squashes:
- Instant Pot Stuffed Acorn Squash with Pecans
- Vegetarian Stuffed Acorn Squash
- Spaghetti Squash Mac and Cheese
- Roasted Butternut Squash with Pickled Onions
- Vegan Butternut Squash Soup with Za’atar Seasoning
- Stuffed Delicata Squash with Wild Rice and Sage
- Roasted Acorn Squash with Wild Rice Pistachio Stuffing
- Incredible Spaghetti Squash Pad Thai
- Butternut Squash Lentil Soup