It’s taco time! Want to make them into a complete meal? Here are all the best sides to go with tacos, from coleslaw to bean dip.
It’s taco night! How much do you love tacos? In our house, Alex and I eat them very often. So often, in fact, that we’re often looking for great sides to serve them with! And honestly, it can be difficult to find the right sides to compliment the the meal: outside of chips and salsa, that is. So what are the best sides to go with tacos?
Here, we’ve put together a list of our very favorite side dishes to go with tacos! Yes, we’ve got the standard chips and salsa: but lots of other options too! A crisp coleslaw flavored with cumin and lime, traditional Mexican street corn, a tangy black beans and rice salad…well, let’s just get to the recipes!
And now, the best sides to go with tacos!
It’s so simple to make refried beans at home, and they taste amazing! All you need is a few simple ingredients and 15 minutes.
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 15-ounce cans pinto beans or 3 cups cooked pinto beans, plus 3/4 cup can liquid or water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Mince the garlic. Drain the beans and reserve the can liquid in a glass measuring cup. (Use water if using cooked beans.)
- In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute until fragrant but before it browns.
- Turn the heat to medium low and carefully add the beans (liquid hitting oil can cause it to spit!), 1/2 cup of the reserved can liquid, cumin, chili powder, and kosher salt. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, adding the remaining 1/4 cup can liquid when it starts to become drier. (How long you cook will depend on the bean brand or whether you’re using beans cooked from dry.) When the liquid gets thick and the beans become easy to mash, remove from the heat. Mash with a potato masher until the desired texture is reached. If you’d like to loosen up the texture, add more water. Serve immediately.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Sides to Go with Tacos, Refried Beans Recipe
And some favorite taco recipes
Of course, we couldn’t leave you with just the sides! Here are our top favorite vegan and vegetarian taco recipes:
- Cauliflower Tacos with Yum Yum Sauce: This one gets the most rave reviews: crispy breaded cauliflower is paired with refried beans and a rich Yum Yum Sauce.
- Easy Black Bean Tacos or Quick Refried Bean Tacos Super quick: the best fast and easy meals!
- Easy Tofu Tacos Full of flavor, quick and totally plant-based, with a tofu crumbles filling.
- Best Jackfruit Tacos A fruit that tastes like pulled pork? Add the right spices and you’ve got a very convincing vegan carnitas taco.
- Epic 5 Minute Egg Tacos: Can you really make tacos in 5 minutes? Try it to find out!
Tip: Try a tortilla warmer!
The best way to keep those tortillas warm while you eat? A tortilla warmer! Alex and I don’t buy many gadgets that have only one purpose. But we haven’t found a better way to keep tortillas warm! It’s basically an insulated pouch traps in the heat and keeps them perfectly heated. At the rate that we eat tacos around here, it’s a godsend.
Get one: Tortilla warmer $14
About the Authors
Sonja Overhiser is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best healthy cookbooks of 2018. She’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the food blog A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Sonja seeks to inspire adventurous eating to make the world a better place one bite at a time.
Alex Overhiser is an acclaimed food photographer and author based in Indianapolis. He’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the recipe website A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Alex is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best vegetarian cookbooks by Epicurious.