It’s so simple to make refried beans at home, and they taste amazing! All you need is a few simple ingredients and 15 minutes.
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 15-ounce cans pinto beans or 3 cups cooked pinto beans, plus 3/4 cup can liquid or water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Mince the garlic. Drain the beans and reserve the can liquid in a glass measuring cup. (Use water if using cooked beans.)
- In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute until fragrant but before it browns.
- Turn the heat to medium low and carefully add the beans (liquid hitting oil can cause it to spit!), 1/2 cup of the reserved can liquid, cumin, chili powder, and kosher salt. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, adding the remaining 1/4 cup can liquid when it starts to become drier. (How long you cook will depend on the bean brand or whether you’re using beans cooked from dry.) When the liquid gets thick and the beans become easy to mash, remove from the heat. Mash with a potato masher until the desired texture is reached. If you’d like to loosen up the texture, add more water. Serve immediately.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Sides to Go with Tacos, Refried Beans Recipe