Here are all the very best recipes for what serve with enchiladas or fajitas! Try our tangy slaw, black beans and rice, guacamole, and more.
Looking for what to serve with enchiladas to make it a meal? We feel you. Enchiladas are some of our very favorite recipes to serve when we’re entertaining. They’re filling, over-the-top delicious, and everyone always loves them. But how do you pair recipes that fit the vibe and complement the main dish?
Here are all our favorite recipes for what to serve with enchiladas. Bonus: all of these recipes work as sides to serve with fajitas, too! Think: crisp Mexican slaw, fresh tomato and avocado salad, zesty black beans and rice, and of course: chips and guac. Ready to get to the recipes?
And now…our top sides to serve with enchiladas (or fajitas)!
This tangy Mexican slaw is the perfect side to serve with enchiladas or fajitas! Deliciously fresh and tangy, it features cabbage, red onion, cilantro, and cumin.
- 8 cups shredded cabbage (1/2 large or 1 medium head green cabbage; or do half red cabbage and half green)
- 1 cup shredded carrot (1 large or 2 medium carrots)
- 1/4 red onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- Thinly slice the cabbage. Shred the carrot. Thinly slice the red onion. Finely chop the cilantro.
- In a medium bowl, mix all ingredients together. Taste and add additional salt or pepper if needed. Serve immediately. (Make ahead: slice the veggies in advance and store refrigerated. Mix together with the vinegar, olive oil, cumin seed, ground cumin, salt and pepper directly before serving. Store leftovers refrigerated; if you find the flavor needs refreshing, add a splash of vinegar, drizzle of olive oil and pinch of kosher salt to taste.)
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Raw
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: What to Serve with Enchiladas, What to Serve with Fajitas, Mexican Slaw, Mexican Coleslaw
And some favorite enchiladas & fajitas recipes
Of course, we couldn’t leave you with only what to serve with enchiladas! Let’s talk about our favorite enchiladas recipes:
- Vegetarian Enchiladas Fast and easy: a total crowd pleaser!
- Vegan Enchiladas These vegan enchiladas are over the top delicious! Stuffed with black beans and guacamole, they’re doused in a zesty homemade red enchilada sauce.
- Vegetarian Enchiladas with Quinoa These tasty vegetarian enchiladas are a major crowd-pleaser! They’re stuffed with satisfying quinoa and artichoke filling.
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Enchiladas A fan favorite! These enchiladas are filled with sweet potatoes, black beans and salsa verde.
- Vegetarian Skillet Enchiladas Why not make enchiladas in a skillet? This one’s a short cut to dinner using purchased red enchilada sauce.
- Vegetarian Fajitas on the Grill These fajitas are easy to grill up as a fast and easy dinner recipe, featuring a charred veggie and black bean filling.
More sides to go with…
We love helping you find great recipes to pair with main dishes! Here are a few more recipe collections:
- Best Sides to Go with Lasagna
- What to Serve with Fajitas
- Best Sides to Go with Salmon
- What to Serve with Stuffed Peppers
- Best Sides to Go with Tacos
- Sides to Go with Pizza
- Best Sides to Go with Chili
About the Authors
Sonja Overhiser is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best healthy cookbooks of 2018. She’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the food blog A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Sonja seeks to inspire adventurous eating to make the world a better place one bite at a time.
Alex Overhiser is an acclaimed food photographer and author based in Indianapolis. He’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the recipe website A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Alex is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best vegetarian cookbooks by Epicurious.