These are all the best sides to go with lasagna! Fresh salad recipes and bright crisp-tender vegetables make it into a meal.
Not sure what to serve with lasagna to make it a meal? We’re here to help! Here at A Couple Cooks, Alex and I have spent years honing the craft of constructing a meal with the right sides. It’s not easy! You’ve got to complement and contrast the main dish with just the right flavors, colors, and ingredients. Even more important: it’s got to be easy enough to make while making the main event.
So to help fill your table: Here are all our top sides and salads to go with lasagna! They feature fresh, seasonal vegetables, with lots of salads to contrast the heavy, cheesy main dish. And there are a few veggie sides that come out crisp-tender and perfectly flavored, that you can make on the stovetop while the lasagna bakes. So what are you waiting for? Let’s get started.
And now…our best sides to go with lasagna!
This Italian chopped salad is the perfect side to go with lasagna! Homemade Italian dressing, veggies and Parmesan cheese combine into one extraordinary salad.
- 1 recipe Homemade Italian Dressing
- 1 Romaine heart (3 cups)
- 5 cups leafy lettuce
- 1 large shallot
- 1 English cucumber (2 cups chopped)
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup ripe green olives, halved
- 1/2 cup jarred sliced pepperoncini
- 1/4 cup Parmesan shavings or shreds, plus more to serve
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- Make the Homemade Italian Dressing.
- Chop romaine and lettuce. Thinly slice the shallot. Peel and chop cucumber. Slice tomatoes and olives in half.
- Mix together all the ingredients for the salad, including the dressing, and toss to combine. If making in advance, refrigerate the components separately; bring the dressing to room temperature before serving.
- Category: Salad
- Method: Raw
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Sides to Go with Lasagna, What to Serve with Lasagna, Salad to Go with Lasagna, Italian Chopped Salad
And some favorite lasagna recipes
Of course, we couldn’t leave you with only what to serve with lasagna! Let’s talk about our favorite lasagna recipes:
- Classic Vegetarian Lasagna A crowd pleaser! The easy spinach and ricotta cheese filling is classic and creamy.
- Favorite Vegan Lasagna No matter how you eat, this lasagna is incredible! Made with spinach, mushrooms, hummus and marinara sauce, it’s our favorite lasagna…ever.
- Spicy Kale Lasagna This homemade kale lasagna is hearty and filling, with a light back-end heat! Cottage cheese stands in as a twist on the classic ricotta filling.
- Mexican Lasagna Here’s a fun twist on lasagna: go Mexican style! Layered with lasagna noodles, corn, and black beans, it’s full of zesty flavor. If you’re pairing sides to go with this lasagna, try Mexican Coleslaw Recipe or Easy Refried Bean Dip.
- For a twist? Try Spinach Lasagna Roll Ups.
More sides to go with…
We love helping you find great recipes to pair with main dishes! Here are a few more recipe collections:
- Best Sides to Go with Salmon
- What to Serve with Stuffed Peppers
- Sides to Go with Tacos
- Best Sides to Go with Pizza
- Best Sides to Go with Chili
About the Authors
Sonja Overhiser is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best healthy cookbooks of 2018. She’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the food blog A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Sonja seeks to inspire adventurous eating to make the world a better place one bite at a time.
Alex Overhiser is an acclaimed food photographer and author based in Indianapolis. He’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the recipe website A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Alex is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best vegetarian cookbooks by Epicurious.