What goes with mac and cheese? Try these best sides to serve with it: green salads, sautéed vegetables, and zingy coleslaw make it a meal.
Looking for what to serve with mac and cheese to make it a meal? Ooey, gooey mac and cheese is the perfect comfort food. But making it into a meal can be tricky. You’ll need contrasting flavors, textures, and ingredients to balance out all that richness. And don’t forget about color! There’s nothing worse than a plate of yellow and beige. (Pretty please do not accessorize with cornbread and mashed potatoes.)
What goes with mac and cheese? There are crisp green salads that go with anything (feel free to use with lasagna or salmon, too). We’ve got crisp tender steamed green veggies that are flavored to perfection. Even zingy coleslaw is the perfect fit with a cheesy plate of pasta. Ready for those recipes?
Top recipes for what to serve with mac and cheese!
What goes with mac and cheese? This “Goes with Anything” green salad recipe is totally versatile, featuring colorful veggies, crunchy homemade croutons, and a variety of salad dressing options.
- 1/2 recipe Homemade Croutons (optional)
- 1 romaine heart (3 cups chopped)
- 5 cups mixed greens
- 1/4 small red onion
- 1 to 2 green onions (thinly sliced)
- 1/2 cucumber (1 cup peeled and chopped)
- 1 carrot (shredded)
- 4 radishes (thinly sliced and halved)
- ¼ cup pepperoncini
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- Sea salt, for garnish
- Salad dressing: Homemade Ranch Dressing, Best Balsamic Vinaigrette, Italian Dressing, or Honey Mustard Dressing
- If using, make the Homemade Croutons.
- Wash and chop the romaine. If necessary, wash the mixed greens. (You can use any mix of greens here; measure about 2 cups of greens per serving.)
- Thinly slice the red onion. Thinly slice the green onion.
- Peel and chop the cucumber.
- Shred the carrot (we used this Handheld Julienne Shredder).
- Thinly slice and half the radishes.
- Make the dressing: Homemade Ranch Dressing, Best Balsamic Vinaigrette, Italian Dressing, or Honey Mustard Dressing.
- Toss together the greens, red onion, green onion, cucumber, carrot, radishes, and pepperoncini. Top with sunflower seeds and croutons, and drizzle with dressing.
- Category: Salad
- Method: Raw
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: What to Serve with Mac and Cheese, Salad Recipe, Green Salad
Some favorite mac and cheese recipes
Wait, you want mac and cheese too? (We’re so glad you asked.) Here are all our favorite mac and cheese recipes:
- Homemade Mac and Cheese The classic! Gooey and cheesy, cooking this ultimate comfort food from scratch and it’s better than any you’ve ever had.
- Pesto Havarti Mac and Cheese Swirling basil pesto into mac and cheese is a stroke of genius! The sauce uses creamy havarti cheese.
- Best Gouda Mac and Cheese This one is rich and creamy, and makes a huge 9 x 13″ pan for entertaining.
- White Cheddar Mac and Cheese Full of flavor, this creamy white cheddar mac and cheese features roasted tomatoes as a tangy balance.
- Instant Pot Mac and Cheese Cozy and cheesy: the ultimate comfort food! It’s fast and easy to whip up in a pressure cooker.
- Creamy Mac and Cheese with Greek Yogurt This virtuous mac and cheese is swirled with Greek yogurt and spinach, but tastes anything but healthy.
More sides to go with…
We love helping you find great recipes to pair with main dishes! Here are a few more recipe collections: