Here are the best coconut cocktails with creamy, tropical flavor! Pair coconut with rum, tequila or vodka for deliciously refreshing drinks.
There’s nothing quite like coconut as a cocktail ingredient! It brings a creamy body and a tropical vibe to drinks of all kinds. It’s a natural to pair with rum, like with the classic pina colada. But there are lots of other ways to serve it! There are more unique coconut rum cocktails like the Bushwacker, that tastes like a chocolate milkshake. Or pair it with tequila for a margarita or vodka for a martini!
Here’s a list of all our favorite coconut cocktails that capitalize on its refreshing creaminess and fruity flavor. Either way, there are a few different ways to incorporate coconut: and it’s important to find the right one. Make sure to scroll below the list to read more! OK, let’s get to to those drinks.
And now…the top coconut cocktails to try!
Coconut cream for drinks & cocktails
You might think that coconut cream is what makes the flavor in these coconut cocktails. But most of the cocktails below use a special ingredient called cream of coconut! Look for that when you make the drinks below. Here’s what to know about cream of coconut vs coconut cream:
- Cream of coconut is a sweetened syrup used for cocktails made with coconut cream and sugar. It’s sold in handy squeeze bottles to make it easy to add to drinks. Cream of coconut is easy to find online or at your local liquor store. Popular brands are Coco Real or Coco Lopez.
- Coconut cream is unsweetened! It’s thick with a strong coconut flavor and sold in cans next to the coconut milk. Coconut cream is made from chilling coconut milk and then skimming off the layer of cream that floats to the top.
This coconut margarita recipe is the cocktail you didn’t know you were missing! It’s zingy and creamy, pairing lime and tequila with coconut.
- Toast the coconut. Remove it from the heat and place it in a single layer on a plate.
- Add a bit of extra cream of coconut to a separate plate and dip the edge of the rim of the glass into it. Then dip the rim into the plate of toasted coconut.
- Place the tequila, triple sec, lime juice, and cream of coconut in a cocktail shaker and add one handful ice. Shake until cold. Strain the margarita into the glass with the coconut rim. Fill the glass with ice and serve.
- For a pitcher: add 2 cups tequila, 1/2 cup triple sec, 1/2 cup lime juice, and 1 cup cream of coconut to a pitcher. Add 3 handfuls ice and stir.
- Category: Drink
- Method: Shaken
- Cuisine: Cocktails
Keywords: Coconut cocktails, Coconut cream for drinks, Coconut cream for cocktails
More cocktail recipes
There are so many drinks to try outside of these Licor 43 cocktails! Here are 300+ cocktail recipes for every occasion:
- Classics: Try Classic Cocktails or Great Cocktail Recipes.
- Easy: These Easy Mixed Drinks and Cheap Drinks have just 2 to 3 ingredients.
- Fancy: Opt for the best in Craft Cocktails.
- The Big 5: Try all our cocktails with Gin, Vodka, Whiskey, Tequila or Rum.
- Fruity Drinks: Grab drinks with Cranberry, Raspberry, Strawberry, Lemon, Lime, Grapefruit or Orange Juice
About the Authors
Sonja Overhiser is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best healthy cookbooks of 2018. She’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the food blog A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Sonja seeks to inspire adventurous eating to make the world a better place one bite at a time.
Alex Overhiser is an acclaimed food photographer and author based in Indianapolis. He’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the recipe website A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Alex is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best vegetarian cookbooks by Epicurious.