What to mix with Malibu rum? Try these top Malibu drinks: the best ways to use coconut rum in mixed drinks!
What to mix with Malibu Coconut Rum? There are so many ways to make Malibu rum mixed drinks, from classic beach drinks to simple 2-ingredient cocktails. Add pineapple juice to make a Malibu Sunrise, or blend up a frosty Bahama Mama. Or just swap it for rum to make a coconut spin on the Rum and Coke or Mojito. Here are all our favorite Malibu drinks! Scroll below the list for a little more about this tasty 1980’s ingredient (it’s actually not…rum).
And now…the best Malibu coconut rum drinks!
Here’s a brilliant Malibu drink that’s visually stunning with a deliciously tropical flavor: the Malibu Sunset! This layered cocktail brings the party with coconut rum, pineapple juice, and orange juice. Add grenadine and it layers into the gradient of the colors of a sunset! This refreshing beachy drink is pure delight.
Ingredients: Malibu Coconut Rum, pineapple juice, orange juice, grenadine
Looking for an easy coconut rum cocktail? Try the Malibu Bay Breeze! This tropical drink could not be easier and it looks stunning in the glass. Layer coconut rum, pineapple and cranberry juice and you’ve got a delicious fruity drink: sweet tart with a tropical finish! This one’s a spin on the classic Bay Breeze using coconut rum instead of vodka.
Ingredients: Malibu Coconut Rum, pineapple juice, cranberry juice
What’s the easiest thing to do with Malibu coconut rum? Make Malibu and Pineapple! Honestly, you don’t need any extra ingredients. These essentials make one deliciously fun 2 ingredient tropical drink! The sweet tart pineapple pairs delightfully with the fruity coconut: it tastes like so much more than the sum of its parts. Throw in a drink umbrella because…why not?
Ingredients: Malibu Coconut Rum, pineapple juice
Need a Malibu drink that’s refreshing, frosty, and all about tropical flavor? Try the Bahama Mama! This beachy drink is all about carefree vibes, featuring not one but two types of rum with pineapple juice and lime. Drink it straight on the rocks, or our favorite way: blended into an icy slush.
Ingredients: Dark rum, Coconut rum, pineapple juice, lime juice, grenadine, ice
Here's a quick and easy way to make a Malibu drink: Malibu and Coke! The Rum and Coke, aka Cuba Libre, is a Cuban cocktail that’s made all over the world…because it’s just that simple. Make it using coconut rum and it's a deliciously fruity spin on the classic.
Ingredients: Malibu Coconut Rum, cola, lime
Another great Malibu drink? Swap Malibu Coconut Rum for rum in the Classic Mojito! This iconic Cuban drink is one of the greats. Here’s a recipe for it that’s spot on perfection: not too sweet, bubbly, and minty fresh. Swap the rum for Malibu (and decrease the simple syrup a hair for a tangier spin).
Ingredients: Malibu Coconut Rum, fresh mint, simple syrup, lime juice
What to mix with Malibu? Try Malibu and Lemonade! It makes a deliciously refreshing cocktail you can make in just 2 minutes. It tastes much greater than the sum of its parts! The citrusy lemonade is the perfect foil for fruity rum. In fact, its sweet tart flavor is loads more interesting than the Rum and Coke.
Ingredients: Malibu Coconut Rum, lemonade (homemade or purchased)
Want a tasty, refreshing Malibu cocktail that takes 1 minute to mix together? Try Malibu and Ginger Ale! It’s similar to a Dark and Stormy, but the ginger flavor is subtler and melts right into the coconut rum. Add a squeeze of lime and it’s the perfect refreshing highball. It’s a great way to make a fast and easy cocktail with a bottle of coconut rum.
Ingredients: Malibu Coconut Rum, ginger ale, lime
What to mix with Malibu? Meet the Malibu Rum and Cranberry Juice cocktail! It’s beautifully tart, balanced with simple syrup and tangy lime. This easy cocktail takes just a few minutes to whip up: it’s almost like a rum spin on a Cosmo.
Last up in the best Malibu drinks? The Malibu Tonic! It's bubbly and fruity, with just the right lightly sweet finish from the rum. Like any good highball cocktail, it’s beyond easy to make. In one minute, you’ve got a refreshing coconut rum cocktail that everyone loves!
More about Malibu Coconut Rum
What’s the secret ingredient in these Malibu drinks? Well, did you know Malibu Coconut Rum actually isn’t considered…rum? It’s partly rum, but it’s hiding a secret. Here’s the secret behind these Malibu cocktails:
- Malibu Coconut Rum is considered a coconut-flavored liqueur. Or, “Caribbean rum with coconut liqueur”, to quote the bottle. Malibu has lots of added sugar and a low alcohol level: it’s only 21% ABV. In contrast, rum has no sugar and a 40% ABV. So, it’s more of a liqueur (here are the technical definitions).
- Malibu Coconut Rum was launched in 1982 as a way for bartenders to simplify making the Piña Colada. It’s the most popular brand on the market by far. But you can find other types of coconut rum like Bacardi, Capitan Morgan, and so forth.
Malibu Sunrise (& Top Drinks!)
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 1 drink 1x
The Malibu Sunset is a deliciously tropical layered drink with brilliant colors of a sunset! It’s easy to make and the effect is stunning.
- 2 ounces* Malibu Coconut Rum
- 2 ounces pineapple juice
- 2 ounces orange juice
- ½ ounce grenadine
- Ice, for serving (try clear ice)
- For the garnish: drink umbrella, orange slice, and cocktail cherry
- Add ice to highball or hurricane glass. Add the coconut rum, then slowly pour orange juice followed by the pineapple juice.
- Pour the grenadine into center of the drink and it will sink to the bottom. Stir gently for the sunset gradient effect. Garnish with a drink umbrella, orange slice and a cocktail cherry.
*To convert to tablespoons, 1 ounce = 2 tablespoons
- Category: Drink
- Method: Stirred
- Cuisine: Cocktails
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: Malibu drinks, coconut rum drinks, what to mix with malibu rum, what to mix with coconut rum, malibu rum mixed drinks
More cocktail recipes
There are so many cocktails to try outside of these beach drinks! Here are 300+ cocktail recipes for every occasion:
- Classics: Try Classic Cocktails or Great Cocktail Recipes.
- Easy: These Easy Mixed Drinks and Cheap Drinks have just 2 to 3 ingredients.
- Fancy: Opt for the best in Craft Cocktails.
- The Big 5: Try all our cocktails with Gin, Vodka, Whiskey, Tequila or Rum.
- Tropical & Beach Drinks: Go for all our Beach Drinks, Tropical Drinks, Pineapple Juice Drinks or Coconut Cocktails.
Let us know if you have any questions!