These easy vegetarian recipes for beginners are delicious ways to eat vegetarian meals, from plant based dinner ideas to breakfast essentials.
Looking for ways to eat more vegetables? Your quest is exactly why we started this website. Years ago, Alex and I got married and wanted to start eating healthier foods. Back then, we read a book that talked about how eating more veggies is good for the planet and good for your health. Today, the story is no different!
Whether you’re looking to be gentler on the planet or eat healthier, here’s a list of our favorite easy vegetarian recipes for beginners. Some are easy dinner ideas, some are breakfast essentials, and some are cookies because: why not? Keep reading for our easy vegetarian recipes for beginners. Most of these are vegetarian dinner recipes, but we’ve got some sides and breakfast recipes thrown in too!
Our top easy vegetarian recipes for beginners!
Pretty Simple Cooking: a cookbook of easy vegetarian recipes!
Love books? Or looking for gifts for vegetarians? We have the perfect cookbook for you! (In fact, we wrote it.) Pretty Simple Cooking is a beautiful healthy cookbook that provides the secrets to cooking tasty meals on the regular! It features a full-color photograph for each of the 100 vegetarian recipes, with 75% of those vegan and 90% gluten-free. All the recipes are like the ones you’ll find on this website: delicious and doable. Click to learn more!Print
This easy black bean tortilla soup is so flavorful and quick! It’s an easy vegetarian soup recipe that’s a hit with everyone around the table.
For the tortilla strips
- 6 6-inch corn tortillas
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
For the vegetarian tortilla soup
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- 4 medium garlic cloves
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1½ cups frozen corn ( fire roasted, if possible)
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce (from 1 can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce)
- 1 quart (4 cups) vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for sprinkling
- 4 radishes, for garnish
- 1 lime, for garnish
- 1 handful cilantro, for garnish
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Make the tortilla strips: Brush the tortillas lightly with olive oil on each side. Using a pizza cutter, slice them in half, then into thin strips. Place the strips on a baking sheet and sprinkle with kosher salt. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until crispy and lightly browned.
- Prep the veggies: Peel and dice the onion. Dice the green pepper. Peel and mince the garlic. Drain and rinse the beans.
- Make the soup: In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil and sauté the onion until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the green pepper and the garlic and sauté for 2 minutes. Stir in the oregano and the cumin for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, beans, corn, adobo sauce, broth, and kosher salt. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes. Taste and add additional adobo sauce or kosher salt if desired.
- Prep the garnishes: Slice the radishes. Slice the lime into wedges.
- Serve: To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and allow to cool to warm. Garnish with the tortilla strips, radishes, torn cilantro leaves, hot sauce, and plenty of lime juice.
Excerpted from A Couple Cooks | Pretty Simple Cooking: 100 Delicious Vegetarian Recipes to Make You Fall in Love with Real Food by Sonja Overhiser and Alex Overhiser. Copyright © 2018. Available from Da Capo Lifelong Books, an imprint of Perseus Books, LLC, a subsidiary of Hachette Book Group, Inc.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Vegetarian Recipes, Easy Vegetarian Recipes for Beginners, Tortilla Soup, Black Bean Tortilla Soup
Looking for more easy recipes?
Outside of these vegetarian recipes, here are a few more collections of dinner recipes:
- 10 Filling Plant Based Dinner Recipes
- 10 Romantic Dinner Recipes
- Easy Dinner Recipes for Busy Lives
- Easy Healthy Dinner Recipes
- Best Vegan Dinner Recipes
- Best Healthy Dinner Recipes
- Easy Dinner Recipes for Family
- Gluten Free Dinner Recipes
- Easy Dinner Recipes for Two
- 10 Filling Plant Based Recipes Perfect for Dinner
- What Should I Make for Dinner?
About the Authors
Sonja Overhiser is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best healthy cookbooks of 2018. She’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the food blog A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Sonja seeks to inspire adventurous eating to make the world a better place one bite at a time.
Alex Overhiser is an acclaimed food photographer and author based in Indianapolis. He’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the recipe website A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Alex is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best vegetarian cookbooks by Epicurious.