Want to eat more veggies? Make this breakfast vegetables scramble! It’s got lots of colorful veggies to start the day right…with a plant based / vegan option.
Want to eat more breakfast vegetables? You’re not alone. Eating more veggies to start the day is starting to trend. Because let’s face it: the American breakfast is largely based on carbs and sugar. Pancakes, waffles, muffins…all sugary. So health-minded people have been asking: why not re-imagine breakfast? Let’s infuse veggies into the first meal of the day, too. How to eat vegetables for breakfast? Try this Breakfast Vegetable Scramble! You can make it two ways: with eggs or tofu, depending on your diet. It’s full of savory flavor…and loaded with nutrients, too.
Ingredients in this breakfast vegetables scramble
This scramble is unlike most breakfast recipes…it’s loaded with vegetables! There are lots of vegetables you can eat for breakfast: here are the ones we chose. But you can feel free to customize this recipe as you choose! (See below.) The main ingredients in this breakfast vegetables scramble are:
- Bell pepper: 1 medium red bell pepper provides a whopping 169% of your daily vitamin C! (Source) That means eating 1 serving of this scramble you’ll stock up on 85% of your vitamin C for the day.
- Baby kale and spinach: Kale is one of the most nutrient dense foods on the planet; it’s packed with nutrients like Vitamin K, anti-oxidants and more (read more here).
- Avocado: You can serve avocado on the side in this breakfast. Avocados are rich in fiber with 25% of your daily value, full of heart healthy good fats, and loaded with vitamin and nutrients (source).
- Eggs: They’re not breakfast vegetables, but eggs are also a healthy food. One egg has 75 calories, 7 grams of protein, and lots of nutrients. Recent research has found that eggs can increase the good cholesterol the body needs.
- Tofu: For a plant-based option, you can use tofu instead! See below for nutrition info.
What other breakfast vegetables can you add?
This breakfast vegetables scramble is very customizable based on the vegetables that you have on hand! You can use so many more vegetables for breakfast. Here are some vegetables that we’d recommend:
- Cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- Swiss chard, chopped
- Cabbage, shredded
- Brussels sprouts, shredded (here’s how to shred them)
For the broccoli and carrots, make sure to cut them small. You may find you need to cook a few minutes longer than the timing specified below since they are hard vegetables. Looking for more ideas? See these Best Vegetables to Eat Today.
Vegan variation: make a tofu scramble!
Don’t want to eat eggs with your breakfast vegetables? Use tofu instead! This Tofu Scramble is so full of savory flavor, it tastes remarkably similar to eggs! Alex and I don’t eat 100% plant-based, but we adore tofu scrambles when we want a vegan option.
Is tofu healthy? Per the Harvard TH Chan School of Nutrition, soy is a nutrient-dense source of protein that can safely be consumed several times a week. It’s likely to provide health benefits, especially when you eat it as an alternative to red meat and processed meat.
Ways to eat breakfast vegetables
Want other breakfast vegetables ideas? Here are some more ways to load vegetables onto your plate in the morning:
- Make toast and load it with veggies. Try Avocado Toast. Or spread toast with hummus or goat cheese and add sauteed vegetables.
- Add a side of sauteed greens. Try Sauteed Spinach, Sauteed Chard or Sauteed Kale.
- Make a vegetable frittata. Try a Spinach Feta Frittata or Veggie Mini Frittatas.
- Eat breakfast tacos. Try our Epic Breakfast Tacos or 5 Minute Egg Tacos have delicious egg “taco meat.”
- Try savory oatmeal. Make oatmeal and top it with a poached egg and sauteed veggies.
- Sip vegetable smoothies. Try a green smoothie like Broccoli Smoothie, Spinach Smoothie, Kale Smoothie or Celery Smoothie.
- Make an omelette loaded with greens. Try this Parmesan Omelette and use any greens you like: spinach, kale or chard.
Sides to serve with this vegetable scramble
Want to serve an impressive breakfast or brunch? Here are a few great sides for this breakfast vegetable scramble:
- Hash Browns: These Oven Hash Browns are perfect for sliding into the oven while you make a saute. Or make traditional Homemade Hash Browns in a separate cast iron skillet.
- Sweet Potato Hash Browns: Try Sweet Potato Hash Browns are baked in the oven, making them simple to prep.
- Breakfast Potatoes: These Pan Fried Potatoes are full of big flavor and take just 15 minutes.
This breakfast vegetables scramble recipe is…
Vegetarian, gluten-free, plant-based, vegan, and dairy-free.Print
Want to eat more veggies? Make this breakfast vegetables scramble! It’s got lots of colorful veggies to start the day right (and a vegan option).
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 red bell pepper (or 1/2 red and 1/2 orange)
- 4 cups baby kale or spinach
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives or other fresh herbs
- 4 eggs or this Tofu Scramble
- ¼ cup shredded Colby cheese or crumbled goat cheese (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Avocado slices, for serving
- Prep the vegetables: Thinly slice the red onion. Large dice the bell pepper.
- Prep the eggs or tofu: In a medium bowl, crack the eggs and whisk them together until well-beaten. Stir in the shredded cheese, fresh herbs, kosher salt, and plenty of fresh ground pepper. Or, complete Step 1 of the Tofu Scramble.
- Cook the vegetables: Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. When hot, add the onion and peppers. Cook 3 to 4 minutes until tender and just starting to brown, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low. Add a pinch of salt and the baby greens. Cook for 30 seconds until wilted. Remove and set aside.
- Cook the eggs or tofu: Keep heat on low. Pour in the eggs. Cook for 20 to 30 seconds. When the eggs just start to set, use a flat spatula to scrape sections of eggs, gently stirring constantly until cooked but still soft, about 1 minute. Or, complete Step 2 of the Tofu Scramble.
- Add the vegetables and serve: Add the veggies back to the pan with the eggs or tofu. Stir for a few seconds until combined and warmed. Serve immediately.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Breakfast
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Breakfast vegetables
More breakfast recipes
- Epic Breakfast Tacos Cheesy eggs and crispy fried potatoes make the best ever Tex Mex tacos.
- Hearty Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole A deliciously filling and cheesy pan.
- Hearty Breakfast Skillet Mix up a sizzling skillet with crispy hash browns and eggs.
- Quick Breakfast Quesadilla Super satisfying, filled with scrambled eggs and cheddar! It’s done in under 15 minutes.
- Homemade Acai Bowl or Acai Smoothie This colorful smoothie bowl is full of nutrient-dense tropical fruits and almond butter.
- 20 Egg Recipes for Every Meal Whether it’s a scramble, frittata, or egg tacos, there’s something for everyone.
- Healthy Banana Bread Muffins These muffins are made of 100% oats: no flour! They’re a great way to eat oatmeal on the go.
- Everyday Baked Oatmeal, Baked Apple Oatmeal or Banana Baked Oatmeal You’ll be blown away by the flavor of this baked oatmeal! It’s so easy to make and endlessly versatile: a true go-to recipe. Vegan variation, too!