Need a quick breakfast or dinner? Try this tasty breakfast quesadilla recipe with scrambled eggs and cheddar! It’s done in under 15 minutes.
Here’s a recipe with breakfast in the title…that we almost always eat for lunch or dinner. Try this tasty Breakfast Quesadilla! The mighty breakfast quesadilla is in no way an authentic Mexican recipe. It’s solidly American-style, and the only thing that earns its title is that it’s filled with scrambled eggs. But wow, is it satisfying! Scrambled eggs, black beans and melty cheddar cheese sandwiched between toasted tortillas and dipped into in guacamole? It’s basic in all the right ways, and at the same time a revelation in each bite. We simply couldn’t stop eating it!
Also try: Easy Breakfast Burrito
Ingredients for this breakfast quesadilla recipe
What does one put in a breakfast quesadilla? Scrambled eggs, of course! Other than that: you can go free form. The concept of breakfast quesadilla is pretty loose: the term essentially includes anything with two tortillas, cheese and eggs. Think of it as American breakfast meets Mexican fare (again, nothing traditional or authentic about it). You can add bacon or sausage to your breakfast quesadilla, but we go meatless: because why not? It’s insanely tasty and super fast to make. Here are our ideal breakfast quesadilla ingredients:
- Scrambled eggs
- Cheddar cheese
- Black beans
- Red bell pepper
Pan fry it up in a skillet, and it comes out as delightful comfort food: with a gooey, cheesy center and a nice texture from the scrambled eggs. Oh: and it takes under 15 minutes. You can do it in 10 minutes if you hurry! It’s perfect for brinner — or lunch or breakfast, too.
Step it up with chorizo-style eggs
Want to take this breakfast quesadilla over the top? Make our chorizo-style eggs! We developed this concept with our Egg Tacos, and it’s insanely good. Just a handful of spices makes eggs taste amazingly like meat! Simply add ¾ teaspoon of each of the following to the 2 eggs while whisking them:
- Chili powder
- Garlic powder
It sounds simple, but you’ll be amazed by the flavor! Let us know if you try this variation.
Dipping sauces and toppings for a breakfast quesadilla
This breakfast quesadilla is extremely satisfying on its own: the texture of the scrambled eggs is delightfully chewy and hearty. But we found it was even better with a dipping sauce! Here are our recommendations:
- Dip with guacamole: It’s worth grabbing your favorite brand of guac for this one. It adds just the right fresh and zingy flavors to complement the quesadilla. Or, make homemade if you have avocados!
- Add salsa: Of course, it’s great with a red salsa too!
- Top with sour cream and hot sauce: The combination of creamy sour cream and zingy hot sauce is one of our favorites of all time. They’re perfect flavor partners…as good as PB&J, right?
Serving a crowd? Make quesadillas in the oven
Want to make multiple quesadillas at once? If you want to make them for the whole family, it can be hard to get them all done at the same time. Here’s the solution: a quesadilla in the oven! This way, they’re all brown and crispy at the same time. Here’s how to make 4 quesadillas at once:
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Use 8 eggs in the scrambled eggs.
- Brush a baking sheet with olive oil. Assemble the quesadillas on top.
- Brush the tops of the quesadillas with olive oil.
- Bake 8 minutes, then flip and bake 7 minutes more.
Sides to serve with a breakfast quesadilla…for brinner
If you’re serving this breakfast quesadilla for a vegetarian breakfast (as intended!), it’s a meal in itself: no sides required! But if you want to serve it for brinner aka breakfast for dinner, add a side dish! Here are a few quick options for throw together meals:
- Quick chopped salad: Try a riff on this Mexican chopped salad — but use this taco salad dressing to make it even quicker.
- Fast bean dip: This 5 minute bean dip comes together in a flash and is incredibly tasty.
- Refried beans: Add a side of canned refried beans, warmed with a hint of cumin and garlic powder.
- Bell pepper strips or avocado slices: Go super easy with raw bell pepper or sliced avocado.
This breakfast quesadilla recipe is…
Vegetarian and gluten-free (using corn tortillas).Print
Need breakfast or dinner in a hurry? Try this tasty breakfast quesadilla recipe with scrambled eggs and cheddar!
- 2 tablespoons finely diced red bell pepper
- 2 eggs*
- ¼ cup black beans
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- ⅓ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 6” tortillas (flour or corn)
- For dipping: Guacamole, salsa, and sour cream
- Dice the bell pepper. Whisk the eggs* in small bowl with a fork, and add the salt and pepper. Drain and rinse the black beans.
- Add 1 tablespoon butter to a small nonstick skillet and heat on medium until melted. Add the eggs to the pan and cook for about 1 minute until starting to firm up. When the eggs just start to set, use a flat spatula to slowly scrape sections of eggs, creating folds. Sprinkle on the black beans, bell pepper, and kosher salt. Keep cooking, scraping occasionally until eggs are fully cooked, about 2 minutes. Remove to bowl and set aside.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon butter to the skillet and heat over medium high heat. Add a tortilla, half the shredded cheese, the scrambled eggs, remaining cheese, and the other tortilla. Cook 1 to 2 minutes per side, until browned and crispy. Cut into wedges and serve with guacamole and salsa for dipping.
*Step it up with chorizo-style eggs and add the following spices to the eggs while whisking: ¾ teaspoon chili powder, ¾ teaspoon garlic powder and ¾ teaspoon cumin.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Breakfast quesadilla, Breakfast quesadilla recipe