Here’s how to make the best applesauce muffins! The batter is whizzed in a blender and they come out fluffy and perfectly cozy spiced. Gluten free with vegan variation.
Wow, are you going to love these. Here are the very best applesauce muffins! They’re light and fluffy, spiced with just the right amount of cinnamon and ginger. They couldn’t be easier to make: just pop all the ingredients in the blender. The best part? The batter has no flour: just rolled oats! It makes them a healthy way to get your muffin fix. You’ll be amazed at how the oats blend into the perfect muffin texture. Readers have been going gaga over our blender muffins, so here’s a new spin for you. We created it to use up some applesauce in our fridge! Here’s what to do.
Why to make these applesauce muffins
There are lots of applesauce muffins recipes out there. What makes this one special? Here’s what we love about it:
- It’s easy to throw into the blender. Not sure why, but making blender muffins always seems easier! You’ll simply throw all the ingredients in a blender and blend.
- The batter uses 100% rolled oats (no flour!), making them a healthy spin. You can feel good about these muffins because they’re basically like eating oatmeal and applesauce! There is sugar, but just enough so that they’re lightly sweet, not so much that they taste like cupcakes.
- They’re perfectly spiced and lightly fluffy. Just like you want a muffin to be! It’s light, healthy and perfect for breakfasts and snacks.
Ingredients in applesauce muffins
We created these applesauce muffins especially to use up a jar in our fridge (there from making applesauce cake for a friend). Readers are always asking us for more blender muffins made with rolled oats. Our main recipe uses bananas: but sometimes you don’t have ripe bananas on hand! Applesauce muffins save the day! Here’s what you need for this recipe:
- Applesauce: unsweetened is preferable! Decrease the sugar to ⅓ cup if all you have is sweetened applesauce.
- Eggs: see vegan substitution below
- Rolled oats: also called Old Fashioned oats. Do not substitute steel cut oats: they are not the same!
- Neutral oil: use sunflower, vegetable or grapeseed (read more here)
- Brown sugar: you can substitute coconut sugar if desired
- Vanilla extract
- Baking soda & baking powder
- Cinnamon & ginger
Variation: vegan muffins
This recipe already makes gluten free muffins, so if you eat that diet or are cooking for someone who is: they’re perfect! We don’t eat exclusively gluten free, we just love the taste and heartiness of these muffins.
Want to make these into vegan applesauce muffins? Just replace the 2 eggs with 2 flax eggs! What’s a flax egg? Simply mix ground flax seed with water to form a binder you can use in vegan baking! This egg substitute works like a charm in this type of muffin.
How to serve ’em!
How to make these applesauce muffins into a filling breakfast or snack? Top them with nut butter! Adding plant-based protein like nuts is our favorite way to make them stick. Here are some of our favorite ways to top them — grab a jar at the store or make at home:
How to store applesauce muffins
What’s the best way to store these applesauce muffins? Oat muffins are a little different from muffins made with flour. We like to store these babies in the fridge so they last longer. Here’s what we do:
- Room temperature (up to 4 days): Place a paper towel in the bottom of a sealed container, then place the muffins in and place a paper towel on top.
- Refrigerator (up to 2 weeks): These oat muffins work well in the refrigerator! The keep for about 2 weeks.
- Freezer Freeze these muffins in a sealable container and store up to 3 months.
More recipes with applesauce
Once you’ve got a jar of applesauce for these muffins, there are so many great recipes to use it up! Here are our favorite recipes with applesauce:
- Make a tasty batch of Iced Applesauce Cookies
- Whip up a stack of Cozy Applesauce Pancakes
- Fire up the oven for a sweet treat of Spiced Applesauce Bread
- Bake up our fan favorite Easy Applesauce Cake
This applesauce muffins recipe is…
Vegetarian and gluten-free. For vegan, plant-based, and dairy-free, use flax eggs.Print
Here’s how to make the best applesauce muffins! The batter is whizzed in a blender and they come out fluffy and perfectly cozy spiced.
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 large eggs (or flax eggs for vegan)
- 2 cups rolled oats, plus more for topping
- ¼ cup neutral oil (sunflower, vegetable or grapeseed)**
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place all ingredients in a blender. Blend everything on high for a minute or two until a smooth batter forms.
- Place 10 muffin cups into a muffin tin and pour the batter divided evenly between the cups. Sprinkle the tops with extra oats and gently press them down (sprinkle a little sugar and cinnamon to the tops if you’d like).
- Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from the muffin tin and allow them to cool a few minutes before serving. Store refrigerated or frozen.
- Category: Muffin
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Applesauce muffins
More blender muffins
Love these applesauce muffins? We’ve got a few more flavors of these blender muffin recipes using the same concept. Here are a few to try:
- Healthy Banana Bread Muffins The original! Made with bananas and oats: a cozy, comforting flavor.
- Banana Oatmeal Muffins Easy to whip up in a blender! Add streusel for a sweet crunch, or go healthy with a sprinkle of oats.
- Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins Add blueberries for burst of sweet tart goodness!
- Healthy Zucchini Muffins Shredded zucchini adds moisture to these tasty morsels.