In the nearly 8 years of A Couple Cooks, we’ve never used the term “5-minute” for a recipe. One one hand, it can make cooking seem dumbed down and trivial, the exact opposite of our pretty simple philosophy. Cooking takes time, and it’s worth making time for. On the other hand, this recipe absolutely deserves the “5-minute” moniker because it is truly quick.
This is barely a recipe, but we’re posting it because if you’re anything like us, you’re always in need of creative ideas in the kitchen. Even if it’s just a few simple ingredients thrown together into a sandwich, sometimes it’s just nice to have a fresh dose of inspo. With that in mind, we’ve got a 5-minute–yes, really 5-minute–breakfast sandwich for you for those days you’re in need of a quick fix.
This recipe is part of our Seriously Simple Series! Our Seriously Simple recipes:
- Are creative ideas for what to eat in less than 15 minutes
- Prove that you can do a lot with a little
- Focus on quality ingredients and big flavors.
What’s great about this breakfast sandwich?
- You can whip it up in less time than it takes to run through the fast food drive through.
- Adding basil pesto brings big flavor in no time. Make sure to buy a high-quality pesto brand that you love.
- It’s a spin on a healthy breakfast sandwich; there’s no bacon, sausage or hollandaise, just 1 egg and some real, fresh flavors.
- If you’re in a pinch, brinner to the rescue! It can double as a quick dinner for nights when you have no time to think.
- You can use any baby greens; now that it’s spring, it’s the perfect time to make this and throw in a handful of greens from your farmer’s market.
- And while we’re on the topic, the farmer’s market is a great place to buy local eggs; eggs from happy chickens always taste better!
Looking for healthy breakfast recipes?
Here are a few of our favorite healthy breakfast and brunch recipes:
- Cinnamon Pecan Homemade Breakfast Cereal
- Turmeric Vegan Blueberry Muffins
- Carrot Cake Breakfast Cookies
- Aeropress Recipe: Brewing Craft Coffee At Home
This recipe is…
Vegetarian. For gluten-free, substitute gluten-free bread or muffins.
Need a quick & healthy breakfast sandwich? This 5-minute pesto & arugula breakfast sandwich can be whipped up in minutes and offers a healthier spin on breakfast.
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 multi-grain English muffin
2 to 3 tablespoons high-quality basil pesto, purchased or homemade if in season
1 handful baby arugula (or other baby greens)
Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Crack the egg into the pan and sprinkle with a few pinches kosher salt. When the whites are mostly cooked after a minute or two, flip and cook another 30 seconds, then remove from the heat.
Meanwhile, toast the English muffin. Spread both sides generously with pesto. When the egg is done, slide it onto one half of the English muffin.
Add a handful of arugula to the still hot pan and return to medium heat; add a pinch of kosher salt and cook for a few seconds until wilted down. Remove from the heat and place the arugula on top of the egg.
Top the sandwich with the other half of the English muffin and serve immediately.
About the Authors
Cookbook Author and writer
Sonja Overhiser is author and recipe developer of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the “best vegetarian cookbooks” by Epicurious, and a recipe developer and healthy & sustainable food advocate behind the award-nominated food blog A Couple Cooks.
Cookbook Author and photographer
Alex Overhiser is photographer and recipe developer of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the “best new cookbooks” by Bon Appetit, and a recipe developer, photographer, and technical expert at A Couple Cooks.