This post may include affiliate links; for details, see our disclosure policy.
Looking for healthy and easy lunch recipes? This delicious chickpea salad sandwich is essentially a vegan tuna salad using chickpeas!
Why is finding healthy and easy lunch recipes so hard? Here at A Couple Cooks we like to eat extremely simple at breakfast and lunch, so we can spend most of our time and energy on dinner. Here’s one of our favorite easy lunch tricks ever: this chickpea salad sandwich! It’s basically a vegetarian chicken salad sandwich (or chickpea tuna salad). It’s so tasty that it’s become one of our most popular chickpea recipes. Even our son Larson is a huge fan: he tries to sneak bites while we’re making it!
How to make a chickpea salad sandwich
This chickpea salad sandwich is truly easy to make (and we’re not just saying that). It takes just 10 minutes to whip up the chickpea salad and throw it onto a sandwich. The only cutting involved is thinly slicing some celery and green onions. Mix that up with some chickpeas, mashed with a fork, mayonnaise, lemon juice, and celery seed, and you’ve got a fresh, refreshing chickpea salad.
Canned vs cooked chickpeas
You can use canned or cooked chickpeas for this chickpea salad sandwich. Our preference is canned, but both work. An Instant pot works well to cook chickpeas, or you can cook them in a Dutch oven (go to How to Cook Dried Beans). Here are a few notes on the differences between canned vs cooked:
- Canned chickpeas have a bit of salt added, so add a few pinches of kosher salt if you’re using cooked chickpeas.
- The texture of chickpeas cooked at home can be slightly drier than canned, so you may have to add a bit more mayonnaise to the chickpea salad. Because of this, we prefer making it with canned chickpeas. But we’ve made it many times with cooked chickpeas too!
Toppings for a chickpea salad sandwich
We like to keep the toppings pretty minimal for this chickpea tuna sandwich. A fun trick is spreading hummus onto the bread slices before assembling the sandwich. We happened to have it on hand and it made the sandwich even more delicious! Of course you could use mayonnaise, or also omit it. We also like adding leafy greens as another texture contrast.
- 1-Hour Quick Pickled Onions
- Shredded carrots (using a a Handheld Julienne Shredder is helpful)
- Sprouts or microgreens
- Fresh tomatoes
- Spicy mayo (mix a drizzle of hot sauce into mayo)
- Potato chips (if you’re into the crunchy sandwich type of thing)
- Quick Refrigerator Dill Pickles
Looking for more easy lunch recipes?
This chickpea salad sandwich is so easy, it’s perfect for quick lunches and for beginner cooks like college students! Here are a few more easy lunch recipes:
- Try 15 Sandwich Recipes That Aren’t Boring
- Go for Easy Veggie Wraps or Quick Hummus Bowls
- Mix up 15 Easy Vegetarian Lunch Ideas
- Try Easy Vegan Recipes for Beginners
This chickpea salad sandwich recipe is…Print
Looking for healthy and easy lunch recipes? This delicious chickpea salad sandwich features a vegan tuna salad using chickpeas!
- 15 ounce can chickpeas or (1 ½ cups chickpeas cooked from dry*)
- 1 rib celery
- 3 green onions
- 1 to 2 tablespoons mayonnaise, vegan mayonnaise, or cashew cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- Kosher salt & fresh ground pepper
- 4 slices bread (try our Homemade Bread)
- Lettuce, spring green mix, or sprouts
- Hummus, optional
- Thinly slice the celery (if it’s a large rib, cut in half lengthwise first). Thinly slice the green onions.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas. In a medium bowl, smash the chickpeas with a fork.
- Combine the chickpeas with the chopped celery and green onions, mayonnaise, lemon juice, and celery seed. Add about ¼ to ½ teaspoon kosher salt, depending on your chickpea brand and taste preferences, and fresh ground pepper to taste. Taste and salt until the flavor pops! If the salad is dry, add more mayonnaise (cooked chickpeas have a drier texture than canned).
- Assemble the chickpea salad sandwich: If desired, spread the bread with hummus (this amps it up a bit but not required). Top the sandwich with lettuce or greens and chickpea spread.
*If using cooked chickpeas, remember that canned chickpeas have a bit of salt added, so you’ll want to flavor with a few pinches of kosher salt before using. Also the texture of chickpeas cooked at home can be drier than canned, so you may have to add a bit more mayonnaise. Because of this, we prefer making this chickpea salad with canned chickpeas, but we’ve absolutely made it with cooked chickpeas too! Here’s How to Make Chickpeas or our Instant Pot chickpeas: we make them all the time.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Mixed
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Chickpea Salad Sandwich, Chickpea Tuna Salad