Looking for healthy and easy lunch recipes? This delicious chickpea salad sandwich features a vegetarian chicken salad using chickpeas!
- 15 ounce can chickpeas or 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas*
- 1 stalk celery
- 3 green onions
- 1 to 2 tablespoons mayonnaise, vegan mayonnaise, or cashew cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- Kosher salt & fresh ground pepper
- 4 slices bread (try our Homemade Bread)
- Lettuce, spring green mix, or sprouts
- Hummus, optional
- Thinly slice the celery (if it’s a large stalk, cut in half lengthwise first). Thinly slice the green onions.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas. In a medium bowl, smash the chickpeas with a fork.
- Combine the chickpeas with the chopped celery and green onions, mayonnaise, lemon juice, and celery seed. Add about 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, depending on your chickpea brand and taste preferences, and fresh ground pepper to taste. Taste and salt until the flavor pops! If the salad is dry, add more mayonnaise (cooked chickpeas have a drier texture than canned).
- Assemble the chickpea salad sandwich: If desired, spread the bread with hummus (this amps it up a bit but not required). Top the sandwich with lettuce or greens and chickpea spread.
*If using cooked chickpeas, remember that canned chickpeas have a bit of salt added, so you’ll want to flavor with a few pinches of kosher salt before using. Also the texture of chickpeas cooked at home can be drier than canned, so you may have to add a bit more mayonnaise. Because of this, we prefer making this chickpea salad with canned chickpeas, but we’ve absolutely made it with cooked chickpeas too! Here’s our Pressure Cooker chickpeas method: we make them all the time.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Mixed
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Chickpea Salad Sandwich, Lunch Ideas, Lunch Recipes, Fast Recipes, Easy Recipes, Easy Lunch Ideas, Chickpea Salad, Chickpeas, Faux Tuna Salad