Here’s how to make the best ever sheet pan pizza! This easy method makes a big pan for everyone to enjoy with your favorite toppings.
For the pizza dough*
- 375 grams (3 cups) all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon instant or active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon each dried oregano and garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 264 grams (1 cup – 2 tablespoons) warm water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for the sheet
For the pizza toppings
- 1 1/4 cup pizza sauce (purchased or our favorite Easy Pizza Sauce)
- 1 cup (3 ounces) shredded smoked gouda cheese
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 6 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese
- Optional topping: 4 cups (3 ounces) baby arugula, 1 tablespoon olive oil, and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh basil leaves, for garnish
- Make the dough (5 minutes): In a large bowl, stir together the all-purpose flour, yeast, kosher salt, oregano and garlic powder. Add the warm water and olive oil and stir until flour is incorporated.
- Knead the dough (8 minutes): Knead the dough by pushing with the base of your palm, then reforming it into a ball. Continue kneading for 8 minutes until the dough feels pillowy and has a smooth, stretchy exterior. If the dough is very sticky, add a small amount of flour while kneading. Alternatively: attach the dough hook to a stand mixer and start the mixer on medium-low speed, then allow the mixer to knead for 8 minutes.
- Roll out and rest the dough in a sheet pan (15 minutes): Using floured hands, gently shape the dough into a boule (ball shape) by folding the dough under itself. Add a light sprinkle of flour to the boule. Then roll out dough on floured surface to roughly the shape of the 13×18 sheet pan. Brush 3 tablespoons olive oil on the bottom and sides of a standard 13″x 18″ sheet pan. Add the dough and brush it lightly with oil. Cover the pan with plastic wrap and rest for 15 minutes to relax the dough.
- Rest the dough again (45 minutes): Press the dough back into the corners of the pan so it evenly covers the pan. Cover and rest 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 500F.
- Bake the pizza dough* without toppings: After the 45 minute rest, bake the pizza dough for 6 minutes without sauce and toppings.
- Add the toppings and bake again: Remove the dough from the oven. Add the pizza sauce, smoked mozzarella, fresh mozzarella (torn into pieces), and Parmesan cheese, and top with a few pinches of kosher salt. Take care, since the pan will be hot! Bake for 6 to 8 minutes until the cheese is melted and lightly brown.
- Serve: If using, in a small bowl, mix the baby arugula with the olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt. Sprinkle the pizza with torn basil, then add the arugula on top. Cut into pieces with a knife (a pizza cutter doesn’t get all the way to the pan edges) and serve immediately.
- Category: Main dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Italian inspired
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Dinner party ideas